Harry Potter is "dead"

"I need to find Harry-" Nova began but a voice spoke over her. 

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone."

No matter how many times Nova repeated the fact the love of her life is dead, it seemed to bounce off of her. It was surreal, Harry being dead. 

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together." 

There was silence from the castle.

"Come," said Voldemort. 

Nova was the first out of the castle. Voldemort striding in front of them, wearing the great snake Nagini around his shoulders, now free of her enchanted cage. 

"Harry," sobbed Hagrid. "Oh, Harry . . . Harry . . ." 

"Stop." Voldemort ordered. 

The Death Eaters came to a halt. 

"NO!" Minnie screamed. 

That's the moment Nova believed Harry to be dead. She knew in her mind he is dead. But somewhere in her shattered heart, Harry is alive. 

"No!" 

"No!" 

"Harry! HARRY!"

These were the cries of Ron, Hermione, and Nova. It was like their voice caused an avalanche for many more began to scream and protest. 

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, and there was a bang and a flash of bright light, and silence was forced upon them all. "It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Nova watched as Harry was placed in the grass. 

"You see?" said Voldemort as he strode back and forth. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!" 

"He beat you!" yelled Ron, and the charm broke, and the defenders of Hogwarts were shouting and screaming again until a second, more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more. 

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, and there was relish in his voice for the lie, "killed while trying to save himself —" 

But Voldemort broke off. Neville stepped forward. 

"And who is this?" he said in his soft snake's hiss. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

"It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?" Bellatrix laughed. 

"Ah, yes, I remember," said Voldemort, looking down at Neville, who was struggling back to his feet, unarmed and unprotected, standing in the no-man's-land between the survivors and the Death Eaters. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" Voldemort asked Neville, who stood facing him, his empty hands curled in fists. 

"So what if I am?" said Neville loudly. 

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."