Sir Cadogan and Snape's Lesson

When all the students reported to the Great Hall after Black broke in, Nova made a beeline for the farthest corner. She curled up into a ball while listening to music in an attempt to sleep and flush out the noise. 

Nova didn't sleep. At all. 

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who'd listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub. Most theories involved Nova. 

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat gray pony. Nobody was very happy about this. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day. 

"He's a complete lunatic," said Seamus angrily to Percy. "Can't we get anyone else?"

"None of the other pictures wanted the job," said Percy. "Frightened of what happened to the Fat Lady. Sir Cadogan was the only one brave enough to volunteer." 

"So force one! What are they gonna do? Run away?" Nova replied frustrated. "Or a bloody statue!"

Sir Cadogan, however, was the least of  Nova and Harry's worries. He was now being closely watched. Teachers found excuses to walk along corridors with him, and Percy Weasley (acting, Harry suspected, on his mother's orders) was tailing him everywhere like an extremely pompous guard dog. To cap it all, Professor McGonagall summoned Harry Nova into her office, with such a somber expression on her face Harry thought someone must have died. 

"There's no point hiding it from you any longer, Potter, Black," she said in a very serious voice. "I know this will come as a shock to you, but Sirius Black —" 

"I know he's after me," said Harry wearily. "I heard Ron's dad telling his mum. Mr. Weasley works for the Ministry of Magic." 

"And Harry told me," Nova stated with a stoic expression. 

Professor McGonagall seemed very taken aback. She stared at Harry for a moment or two, then said, "I see! Well, in that case, Potter, Black, you'll understand why I don't think it's a good idea for you to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings. Out on the field with only your team members, it's very exposed, Potter —" 

"We've got our first match on Saturday!" said Harry, outraged."I've got to train, Professor!"

"Minnie! You can't cancel Quidditch!" Nova objected. 

Minerva did not yell at the two. Instead, she seemed lost in thought. It seemed as if there were gears turning in her mind. It seemed as if she was figuring out a solution. 

"Hmm . . ." Professor McGonagall stood up and stared out of the window at the Quidditch field, just visible through the rain."Well . . . goodness knows, I'd like to see us win the Cup at last . . . but all the same, Potter, Black . . . I'd be happier if a teacher were present. I'll ask Madam Hooch to oversee your training sessions." 

***

Despite the worsening weather, Oliver Wood made his team practice harder than they ever have. Fred and George jokingly said he was "madder than madman Sirius Black". 

As promised, McGonagall had Madam Hooch oversee every Gryffindor practice. 

"We're not playing Slytherin!" Oliver announced, looking very angry."Flint's just been to see me. We're playing Hufflepuff instead."