22

I woke up in the middle of night, i was worried about the baby, she'd fell from a high place.

I looked at her and she was still sleeping peacefully, i smiled to myself and put on a white shirt as i was going to go for a smoke, i pulled her underwear down and little and noticed blood.

That's not right, i think.

I took my phone of the nightstand and searched "is it normal to bleed a lot at once while pregnant" it told me that it wasn't normal.

I noticed she was bleeding and lot more and i tried to wake Naomi up. "Go away" she mumbled and i had blood all over my hands, i wiped it on my shirt and started crying.

I called 911 and they answered.

"I need an ambulance for my girlfriend at the hills residence. please come quick she's pregnant and she's bleeding a lot" i said quickly, the women said she'd send one quickly.

I waited with Naomi who was still asleep, i noticed that i was crying and i looked at the bedsheets and saw a large circle of blood.

I took the sheets off the bed and l heard a knock at the door downstairs , i ran downstairs to open it and they ran in and went upstairs.

I saw Naomi come downstairs in a stretcher and i wiped my tears, i noticed a woman trying to talk to me.

"Hello sir, who are you to her, do you know who the father of the child is" she asked.

"I'm her boyfriend, I'm the father" i looked at her

"Could you tell me what happened" she asked.

"Can you go save my fucking girlfriend and our baby" i said angrily and she nodded and i followed the ambulance in my car.

As I arrived at the hospital, my heart pounded in my chest as they rushed Naomi into the emergency room, her face concealed by a mask to aid her breathing.

Stunned, I found a chair in the waiting area and dialed my mom's number, my voice trembling with worry. "Mom," I uttered in shock.

"Kaden, what's wrong? Why are you calling at this hour?" she responded groggily.

"Naomi's in the hospital," I choked out, "she fell downstairs, and I'm scared for the baby."

Drawing on her comforting presence, Mom tried to reassure me, "She'll be okay, she's a strong girl, and so is that baby. Do you want me to come up there?"

"Yes," I replied, trying to hold back tears.

"Okay, your father wants to come," she said.

Hesitating for a moment, I swallowed my pride, "I don't care if he comes, just hurry up. I'm at South Drive Hospital," I said before ending the call.

Lost in my anxious thoughts, I spotted the nurse who had helped with the stretcher approaching me. Desperate for news, I inquired, "Do you know if my girlfriend, Naomi Smith, is okay? She's pregnant."

The nurse wore a gentle smile but had to remind me to consider others, "She's in a bad condition, but you're scaring the patients. I'll need you to go home, shower, and then you can come back."

Though torn, I reluctantly left the hospital, but I couldn't bear leaving Naomi like that. In my distress, I lit a cigarette and sat in my car, tears streaming down my face.

Searching for support, I decided to call my friend Jamie. "Jamie," I said, my voice quivering.

Concerned, he asked, "Are you okay, Kaden?"

"No," I confessed, unable to hold back any longer, "Naomi's in the hospital. She fell downstairs."

"Is the baby okay?" he asked, urgency in his voice.

"I-uh, I don't know," I whispered.

Without hesitation, Jamie assured me, "I'm coming down there. What hospital are you at?"

"South Drive Hospital," I said, feeling the weight of worry in my heart.

"Can you bring Ava?" I asked, needing the comfort of his little sister.

"Yeah, I hope Naomi and the baby are okay," he replied, his own fears mirrored in his voice.

"Me too," I said, ending the call before driving to the house, bracing myself for whatever news awaited me there..

I went upstairs and got in the shower. I stood in the hot shower thinking, while the water hit my skin.

I went back to the hospital and saw Ava and Jamie sat in the waiting chairs, i was wearing all black.

"How are you doing" Jamie said.

"Have they said anything" i looked at them.

"No sorry" Ava said.

"I'm going for a cigarette" i looked at the cigarette box in my hand and went outside to smoke.

As i was smoking i looked at the burning cigarette, i took another drag and cried.

Inside the somber walls of the hospital, a doctor approached me, calling out my name. "Kaden Richardson," he said.

My red, puffy eyes met his gaze as he delivered the devastating news, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but you've lost your baby due to blood loss in the sack."

Silence enveloped me, his words mere murmurs in my ears. I glanced at Jamie and Ava, seeking solace, before entering the room where Naomi lay. The nurses respectfully exited, leaving me alone to clasp her hand.

"Nai, wake up," I whispered, my voice choked with emotion. I kissed her hand tenderly, desperation in my actions, "Please, wake up." But she remained asleep, oblivious to my pleas.

A knock on the window drew my attention, and I saw my parents standing outside. I stepped out of the room and embraced my mom, seeking comfort in her presence as tears streamed down my face.

"It's okay," she soothed, her hand gently rubbing my back as I wept.

"We were having a boy, and I was an asshole the whole time, and now he's dead," I admitted, the guilt crushing me.

"Honey, it's okay. Is she awake?" Mom inquired.

"No," I replied in a hushed tone, my gaze briefly meeting my dad's before looking away.

"I'm glad the baby's gone; it means you can focus on football," my dad remarked callously.

My anger boiled over, and without hesitation, I swung my fist at him, landing a hard punch on his jaw. He winced in pain, but I shook off my hand, unapologetic for the hit. "Get out if you're going to be an ass like always," I snapped, annoyed by his insensitivity. I turned away from him, determined to be by Naomi's side.

Shutting the door behind me, I returned to Naomi, seeing her starting to wake up.

"Hey," I whispered, my heart aching at the sight of her pale face. She managed a weak smile, but I noticed her hand instinctively going to her stomach, and a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Where's my baby?" she whispered, her voice trembling with fear.

"He died because of blood loss," I sniffled, my own grief overwhelming me.

"It's my fault, I shouldn't have got up to get water," she cried, blaming herself.

"It's not your fault, Naomi," I said firmly, embracing her in an attempt to offer comfort and support.