𝟎𝟐.

MY EYES SNAP open—I expect, or hope, to see the white ceiling of my room, or the cream one of the hotel, but I don't, rather I see a tall, dark one with decorative, wood paneling

I suddenly realize that I'm not dreaming.

I pry my fingers off of the sheets and flex them, groaning at their stiff feel, I swallow thickly and sit up slowly, I look around the room.

Little bits of light shine in from the bottom of the closed curtain, the walls are red and the floor is dark wood, the room only has a bookshelf and desk in it.

At least I'm not dead. But, now I remember my sister and the man... biting her, then my brother disappearing from my side. Tears slowly drip down my face onto my shirt, I wipe them away.

I hop off of the large bed and stumble over to the door, I try turning the knob but its locked from the outside—I grow frustrated and bang on the door harshly, I scream for someone to let me out. I hit the door repeatedly, tears now aggressively stream down from my eyes.

I pound at the door for a few minutes until my hands start throbbing, I back away from the door and breathe shakily.

I sit down on the bed, giving myself time to think.

My sister is for sure dead, my brother could—perhaps—be dead, but I can't be certain. I'm locked inside of a room inside of a castle full of cannibals. This has to be a dream, there's no plausible way that it isn't.

I push myself off of the bed once more and head for a different door, I place my hand on the knob and turn it, it thankfully opens. Its a bathroom.

Its much more modern than the bedroom, the walls are tiled, the floors are marble. Theres a large mirror above the sink, a bathtub and a separate shower. The shower is stocked with hair products and body soaps. Whose room is this?

I blink and push the door shut behind me, locking it.

I place my hands on the sink and look up into the mirror, my skin is ghostly pale and my eyes are bloodshot, I tear up looking at myself.

I close my eyes—images of Meredith and my parents pop into my head—I quickly open my eyes.

The door to the room suddenly opens, I quickly unlock the bathroom door and run out into the room, I only catch a glimpse of the figure before the door is shut and locked.

I sigh in defeat and nibble on my lip.

Something on the desk catches my eye, a tray with a plate and a glass of water on it. I hurry and grab the glass, chugging the water. I place the glass back down and notice a little piece of paper, it has fancy handwriting scribbled on it. I pick it up, my eyes scan across the words.

Isadora,

We are truly sorry for what happened to you last night, we hope you aren't too frightened. Your brother and sister are doing well, Meredith is currently recovering. We will see you soon.