Not So Happily Ever After All

Logan

(The next day, 8 a.m.)

I had finally come back home. Sophie had a blast for her birthday yesterday. We didn't throw a big birthday party like I would have liked to. She wasn't the big party type. She had already asked me not to throw her a party.

Though I was tempted to, Troy and Lexie asked me to not do so. Sophie is not the social type. Though she tried her hardest when she threw my birthday party, I knew she was still a bit uncomfortable.

So, even if I itched to throw her a birthday party, I decided not to do so. I kept a close eye on her when we went to the concert. I wanted to make sure she wasn't uncomfortable. She eased off after a while and had a great time, which was ultimately my goal- for her to have a great time on both, weekend and her birthday.

I closed the door to my house, resting on the door with my head tilted back. I couldn't help but smile. I sighed and went towards the stairs, just as I was making my way towards the last step, I heard a ruckus coming from mom's room.

I smiled and walked towards it. I wanted to tell her how Sophie's birthday had gone. I was so glad my family had warmed up so well to Sophie. They embraced our relationship from the start.

I stood by the door, ready to open it.
A smile was plastered on my face that soon molded into a confused look.

"Gees, Riles- you have to be fair to your kids and tell them the truth. They have the right to know what's going on." My aunt's voice sounded concerned. Something was obviously wrong here.

"And I will. But first I need to go out there and confront Charles about all this. I deserve to know. I need to know why he's cheating on me? Why he'd-"

I couldn't believe its ears. If I resented my dad before, I loathed him even more now. I opened the door quickly, earning a gasp and a startling stare from both of them.

Mom was quickly grabbing stuff from her drawers and placing them in her luggage. Aunt Ruthie sat at her vanity stool with her arms crossed. They both looked towards each other in a guilty state.

I cleared my throat and looked between both. "Hey, gorgeous. Where you off to?" I faked a smile towards mom.

Her face looked concerned. I had just heard something I had been gutting for a while now. I was not about to let her go up there and face him alone. If I hadn't faced him up to now, it was all for the respect I have for this lady right here and for the light brown-haired, green-eyed monster in the next room. Ashley and mom meant the world to me. . . .well, besides my number one girl, Soph.

"Umm, h-hi sweety. I didn't think you'd be back home so early. Where's Sophie? Did she come with you?" I know what she was doing. She was trying to avoid answering it question.

"Mom, where are you going?" I asked sternly. She was not going to avoid me, and she certainly was not going to face this trouble alone.

She was folding a shirt, running her hands slowly across the soft red fabric. Her face looked flushed, and I know she was trying to avoid eye contact with me.

She took a long sigh and shrugged her shoulders. "Close the door, have a seat sweetheart." I looked out towards Ashley's room. She was still inside sleeping. I closed the door quietly and sat at the edge of her seat.

"Logan. Dad is not coming home for Thanksgiving. I have an uh- meeting I have to attend but don't worry, I will come home in time for Thanksgiving dinner."

I locked eyes with her, after a few little long seconds I let out a scuffed chuckle and nodded my head. "Meeting. I heard everything already mom. You don't have to hide it from me. I'm not a kid anymore. And obviously, dad is not worth such a wonderful woman like you in his life. So-"

Her face was flushed, eyes wide in shock, and lips partially parted.

"What's the plan? When are we leaving to go see this asshole and his new pet?"

Her eyes grew wider, "Logan! Whether there is trouble between your father and me, it has nothing to do with you. You still owe him respect. Do not refer to him in such vulgarity. I forbid you to bad-mouth him"

I crossed my hands over my chest and sneered. "Sorry, but he lost my respect a long time ago. But, for the love and respect, I have for you I will watch my tone. But I don't guarantee that I will stay quiet in front of him. I'll go pack my bags."

"Logan, no. I have to do this on my own. Please sweety, you have to stay and look after Ashley." She said in a worried tone.

"I can look after her. That's no inconvenience to me." My aunt added making me smile.

"Ruthie, seriously?" Mom shrugged her shoulders and sighed.

"Well, there you go. I'll go pack." I said turning on my heel and walking towards the door.

"Pack? Where are you guys going?" Ashley was at the door. I hadn't noticed when she had come in.

And that's how we ended at the airport today. I was surprised to see Derreck at the airport waiting for us. We hadn't told Ashley everything. As far as she knew, we were going to see dad because he wasn't going to make it for Thanksgiving, so we were going to surprise him with a quick visit. And boy- was he going to be surprised.

Derreck and I had gone up to sit to have a coffee and talk about what was going on. Having the desire to become a lawyer had made me more aware of things around me. I took people's behavior in mind. I remember all the things Derreck used to tell me about his lectures and advice his colleagues had told him to keep in mind when entering a courtroom.

I had long noticed my dad and this red hair colleague of his being a little too friendly this past summer when we were on that cruise. My instinct wasn't wrong, but I didn't want to tell mom. I wanted to avoid giving her heartache.

Though I guess the outcome of all this was inevitable. I had so many mixed emotions right now. I left without telling Sophie. I really wanted to spend Thanksgiving with her. I guess that will have to be for next year.

Ashley was sitting with mom, a bright smile plastered on her pretty face, as we waited for our flight. I was surprised we found tickets this time of year. Usually, all flights are completely booked because folks are trying to fly and spend Thanksgiving with their loved ones. But not us.

We were on our way to do the opposite. Break the little piece left holding this family together. I'm not sure what's in store for us in the near future.

But I do know one thing! I've never needed Sophie more than I need her now.

The intercom announces our flight. Mom and Derreck exchange a concerned look between them. Derreck purses his lips and nods, giving her a reassuring look to ease her worries. I sigh, in hopes that I can control anger long enough. After today, nothing- and I mean nothing will be the same for us.

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨