Thanksgiving Blues

Third Person POV

No one was prepared for the events approaching. From the separation of Mr. & Mrs. Spencer, the bad news of Hailey's health, T's parents had suddenly come home unexpectedly, Lexie's dad was given the news he may lose his farm, and there were many more obstacles that the kids from Lakeview high would have to suddenly face.

One thing was for sure, Hailey was determined to make this a great Thanksgiving dinner. She has less than a day before Thanksgiving to make preparations. It has to be memorable.

She had managed to come home safely without having to stop because of the nausea she has been experiencing from the new medication. The radiation had left her sore from head to toe and in so much pain.

She quickly got a hold of Troy's grandma and asked her for help. But, she found Troy's parents had gotten home last night as well. Poor Troy, she knew the situation was no less of misfortune as well. He was such a great kid, so smart and capable, but was left with incomprehensible parents who were determined to make his life hard.

He was no less of a man for being gay, and Hailey knew that. For all she knew, Troy was more of a man than so many out there. He wasn't just kind and smart, but responsible and respectful; he was always so well mannered, but no thanks to his parents. It was all the hard work and dedication his grandma had placed on him.

Hailey was going to have to tough it out and cook on her own with Sophie's help. She was so thankful for Sophie. God had blessed her with amazing kids, but Sophie, Sophie was special in her own ways.

She placed the phone down and placed her apron on, forcing a smile on her face, and began taking recipes out. Pots, pans, and cooking utensils overcrowded the kitchen top.

"Mom, I'm back," Sophie calls out from the front door caring grocery bags in her hands.

"I'm in here baby," Hailey calls back to her from inside the kitchen.

Sophie places the bags on the counter and begins to take things out, placing them in their rightful place.

"So, have you heard from Logan baby? What did he say?" Hailey asked concerned?

"Umm, no. Not yet. Meghan said he had gone up to Chicago. It was a last-minute trip I suppose, so maybe he doesn't have good reception out there. I'm sure he'll call when he gets a chance to. Besides, he could use some time to spend with his dad. He and Ash haven't seen him in a while. I'm sure if you and dad were away for so long I'd want to go and see you as well." She smiled and hugged Hailey from behind, giving Hailey a sense of uncertainty. She smiled hiding her sadness.

"I guess you're right baby. Now come on. Help me start on the pumpkin pie, it always tastes so much better when you make the dough." Hailey smiles giving Sophie the container of flour.

"I'm on it, momma," Sophie responds faking a southern accent, causing Hailey to chuckle.

The two begin to cook up a storm, thankful to be in each other's company.

By nightfall, the boys have set up the table beautifully and begin helping out by bringing the dishes to the kitchen while Hailey and Sophie run to take a bath and change.
********

Sophie

I was just about done getting ready, running my hands through my hair. I had styled it in loose curls and wore a knee-length dress with a heart shape front and circular skirt in a dark red color to match mom.

My door slowly opened while someone knocked, making me turn. My heart skipped a beat I heard his husky voice from the other side.

"Hello! Is my sweetheart about done getting ready in here? Or does she help?"

"Logan!"

I ran to him. My hands automatically wrapped around him as he picked me up, making me wrap my legs around his torso.

He chuckled and held me tight.

"Hey, beautiful. I missed you."

"Baby I missed you. I thought you were in Chicago?"

He sighs, burying his head in my hair, leaving soft kisses on my neck. "I was, but we came back this afternoon."

He places me down slowly, cupping my face and kissing my nose. "I would have come sooner or called you, but one- my phone ran out of battery. Two- we were stranded in the airport all night. We got caught in a blizzard out there. Our plane was delayed until the pathways were cleared for take-off. I hope you don't mind us invading your dinner, your mom called us and invited us over." He said with a smile. He wore a black turtle neck with a navy blue sweater and black dress pants. He looked so handsome.

"Baby, of course, I don't mind. I was so worried about you guys. But now you're here. That's all that matters." I responded, kissing him. My arms were still wrapped around his neck, and his hands slowly caressed me from my waist to my ribs in a soothing manner.

"Hello?! Sophie? Logan?" Ashley poked her head in making us turn towards her with a smile.

"Hi, Ash!" I let go of Logan and engulfed her in a tight hug. She held me tight for a while, making me worry. Did something happen up there? Why did I suddenly feel things didn't go well for them in Chicago, maybe this is why they came back home.

I didn't want to be nosy. If anything, I'd lend an ear and support them if they needed me. "Ash. Are you ok honey?" I asked her softly. Her hands held me tighter, and she slowly took a long sigh.

"I'm fine. We're all ok, Soph. I just really need a hug. Is that ok?" She responded, unwilling to pull away from me. Her hands squeezed tight around my waist.

I glanced at Logan, his face looked saddened by her behavior. His hands were kept inside his pockets and gave me a weak smile.

"Of course Ash. I'm here for you, ok? You can hold me as long as you want." I kissed the top of her head and wrapped my arms around her upper back, and shoulders.

We all sat together at the dinner table. Mom usually brings out the turkey and presents it to the table. But this time, dad went into the kitchen and brought it out. Mom looked beautiful, just like Riley.

But my heart could help but wonder if they hid something from me. Mom had brought her A-game to the table. She cooked up a storm. Everything she cooked looked so good. Our family, along with Logan's Family, sat together for Thanksgiving for the first time.

We each gave grace and said our blessings, giving a list of things we had been grateful for this year. By the time we all had our turn, we had all laughed and cried happy tears.

Dad cut the turkey, and we ate together in comfortable silence. The night had been perfect, though an unexplained sadness was felt in the air.

I know something happened in Chicago. I could tell by the Spencer's face. But it wasn't up to me to meddle in.

By midnight, Riley and Aunt Ruthie had gone back home. My brother Aaron had gone to sleep with our little brother Jason and left the room for Meghan and Ashley to sleep over.

Logan and I went to my room and changed into comfortable clothes and cuddled in bed. I was glad dad had fixed the house heater. The house felt warm.

The most important thing, I was back in Logan's arms. He was back home safe and sound.

This was, I believe- one of the best Thanksgiving we had ever had, in the company of my family, the love of my life, and his family. I could not have asked for a better holiday.

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨