Chapter 55: Puzzle Pieces

⇿ ⇿ ⇿ ⇿ ⇿

Later that night, the pair arrived back at the Mikaelson house with Rudy.

Klaus and Percy sat on the couch. Rudy was laying on a big comfy chair next to the couch. The raven haired beauty was cuddled up beside the original, half of her body on his.

The demigod rubbed her eye tiredly. "I'm sleepy." She commented. "But sort of in a cranky way, where if anyone talked to me besides you, I'd probably snap at them."

The hybrid laughed. It was a genuine laugh, bursting from deep within. "I'm the exception?" Klaus questioned, as he regarded her. Her eyes were closed.

The sea green eyed girl yawned slightly. "You're always the exception." 

Klaus felt joy swell within him. Her words were so unfeigned and sincere.

"I am, love?"

Percy nodded. "Of course you are." She said softly, her eyes remaining closed.

His fingers gently ran through her hair. The original placed a soft kiss against her forehead. Klaus' lips lingered on her skin for a moment.

"I love you." The words fell from her lips, with emotion emerging from her sleepy voice.

Klaus' expression changed into something resembling awe. His mind couldn't wrap around how someone as incredible as her could love him.

Although he had wished to hear those words from her, the hybrid had convinced himself that the demigod couldn't possibly love him. He was always one to act arrogant, but with relationships, he got insecure.

He struggled with trust. Klaus struggled with love, in general. The idea of fully giving yourself to another person, letting your walls down to let someone see beneath the surface, scared him.

So, he pushed people away. He'd act out. Because, when you let someone into your heart, they have the power to rip it away. People can leave at any time. If he let those pent up feelings out in a fit of rage, at least he had control over the person leaving.

And when his insecurities started to eat him apart, and told him that they were going to abandon him, he'd believe the dark thoughts festering within him. So, before they could choose to walk out of his life, leaving him in the dust, with remnants of him scattered across the floor, he would self-destruct. He would make them leave, instead of facing the heartbreaking surprise of them doing it before he could expect it.

So, he tended to ruin the good things he had.

But, Klaus knew that she wasn't just something good. Percy was the best thing to ever happen to him. And, he couldn't bring himself to think about pushing her away.

He couldn't.

She made him feel complete. It was like a puzzle piece that hadn't clicked with anything before. Suddenly, she entered his life and he wasn't so broken. They fit together.

He didn't feel alone, when he was with her.

And if he was being honest, he couldn't bear the thought of not seeing her when he woke up in the morning.