Sixteen - Pearl

Eyelids glued together; I tried to open them

Sod it. Leaving them shut, I did a quick inventory of the rest of my body, wriggling my finger and toes.

Fuckity-fuck. Everything ached—and I mean everything! It was as if a truck had run me over.

How long had I been unconscious?

You okay, girl? My wolf huffed. Yeah, she was okay.

Hello? I tentatively reached out for my squatters. Nothing, all quiet. Phew!

Inhaling a deep breath, my senses pricked as I smelled something familiar... Nutella and pine, the heady combination that both aroused and calmed me.

My mate... Cassius.

Like a chain reaction. My nipples hardened, womb clenched, and my vagina beat to her own little drum. Good to know something was working normally.

But as if someone threw a bucket of ice water on me—reality came knocking.

I'd fucked everything up because the freak show inside me came out and pissed all over my parade!

And just as bad, if not worse. I'd been helpless to stop it. Paralyzed, watching the entire scene play out and not able to do a damn thing to stop it. And when it had left my body and occupied my mate. I honestly thought I'd killed him—dead!

A knot of guilt nauseated my stomach. He was going to be mighty pissed off when I faced him, and I could probably kiss the chance of us being mate's goodbye. Who wanted a freak as a mate?

I should have thought this out. Why did I think I could have what others have? Why had I been so stupid to think I could protect him, or anyone else, from what lurked inside me?

Because I was selfish. I only thought about what I wanted.

Okay, time to face the music. I forced my eyes open. It was dark, but dim light escaped from the next room, seeping into this one.

Where was Sylar?

"You're awake."

Fuck! There was no mistaking that deep, sexy voice... Cassius. I shivered and clenched at the same time. "I hoped no one noticed."

"Your breathing and heart-rate sped up. Do you feel okay?"

Strangely, he was composed. Concern pinched his tone. Concern for me. Was this the calm before the storm? "I've been better."

"Can I get something for you, Pearl?"

He was being nice.

Why? I'd almost got him killed... hadn't I? I wasn't sure.

My throat felt itchy, dry—I was thirsty. Shifting my head, I pushed everything I had into sitting up. There was a glass of water by the bed.

Whose bed? Never mind.