Thirty - Cassius

Arriving at the pack house in wolf form, both Seth and Noah relayed news via mind-link, bringing me upto date on matters that didn't require the whole of my attention

Arriving at the pack house in wolf form, both Seth and Noah relayed news via mind-link, bringing me upto date on matters that didn't require the whole of my attention. Half listening, I had other more pressing issues at hand.

My wolf grumbled his unrest at our in-house guest, and I agreed wholeheartedly. The last few hours my wolf and I had learned as wolf and man and our minds merged, we could block the Jinn, hide our shared thoughts.

This gave us free thinking space to plan ridding ourselves of the Jinn's clutches when the witch had been dispatched back to the ungodly place she'd come from.

The witch. Her death was the only outcome I could foresee.

Kill or be killed. There was little doubt she would remove anyone who stood in her way.

Separating our minds, I shifted back to man as my wolf shrank to the dark corner of my mind. He was sulking, despising the fact that we were being used by a spirit that I was now sure was no better than my sister and the old soul that shared her body.

On cue, the Jinn's dominance surged through my veins as its poisonous vine-like authority attempted to weaken both me and my wolf. Tightening its hold, both over my mind and my physical body. In only a short amount of time, the visions that splashed through my mind's eyes every time they closed were tiring both physically and mentally. And my unease only amused it further, fuelling my irritation.

I did not know how Pearl had kept its influence at bay, having been unaffected.

What made my mate different?

I despised its sway over me—but what choice did I have?

Blind, I was weak, vulnerable. The witch could force me to shift at will, her magic powerful.  Which left Willa, Pearl and my pack defenceless against her.

'How do you want me to handle this, Alpha?' asked Seth, interrupting my quandaries

Handle what?    I hadn't been listening. 'Repeat that, Seth.'

'Which part?' he huffed. 'I've been talking for the last five minutes and I sensed your disconnect from here.' His tone was amused.

Insolent Beta. I growled. 'Be mindful of your station, Beta.'

He laughed. 'Someone on your mind, Alpha?' he teased, and Noah chuckled.

'I'm sure between the two of you, whatever needs attention can be managed. Or do I need another Beta and Zeta? As I find, I'm tiring of you both.'

Noah cleared his throat. 'All good here Alpha.'

Seth grunted. 'Good, here.'

I severed our link and went in search of my mate. Her presence alone was both soothing and arousing. Lifting my head, I sniffed. The increase in heart rate and the hairs on the back of my neck rising informed me she was close.