Thirty One - Sylar

I woke to the crackling of burning wood, my head groggy and pounding, eyes heavy

I woke to the crackling of burning wood, my head groggy and pounding, eyes heavy. I forced them open to view a blackened ceiling.

Where the hell was I?

Willa?   My heart kicked up a beat. She'd think I left her.

Tilting my head back, I realized I was lying on a bed with my hands tied above my head and my feet fared no better.

My brain leaked images. Ember. She had been at the Cabin... well, her spirit at least.

"Ah, I see you're awake. You've kept me waiting. I thought that stupid pack healer had messed it up and put you in a coma!"

Although my head pounded, I lifted it to see Ember with a small log in hand as she bent placing it inside a wood burner. "What did you do to me?"

"I knew you wouldn't come willingly, so I had to resort to other means of persuasion."

"Someone from the pack helped you?" She mentioned a healer. Was it Eve—Gunner's mate?

"Not willingly. It took a spell and perfect timing."

Shit.  Had she hurt Willa? "Where's Willa. Did you hurt Willa?"

She rolled her eyes but didn't answer. I pushed out my senses. If she wouldn't answer, I'd take the information directly from the source.

Nothing happened. I couldn't feel anything. What had she done to me?

"Trying to get inside my head, Sylar?" she smiled. "What, you didn't think I knew?  Oh, I know plenty. You honestly think you and Willa were alone all that time in the dream-realm?" she tsked. "I know you felt me."

She was right. I'd often felt another presence. "How?"

She placed another log on the burner, closing the door. Walking toward me, she passed a table, picking up a blade. If she was trying to scare me, it wouldn't work.

Closer now, a smile teased her lips. Stretching over me, she pressed her finger into my bound wrist.

I hissed in pain.   What the?   My head twisted to see what she was doing. A weird symbol was tattooed on my skin.

"It's a spell."

"Why does it burn?"

"It's fresh. Be grateful you were asleep when I seared it into your skin. But to what it does." She tapped her temple. "Stops you from getting inside my head and hurting me."

"Just you?"

"—Just me."

"What do you want, Ember? Because if you expect me to play your asinine games, you've kidnapped the wrong man."

"Nothing for you to worry about... for now." She leaned in closer, her lips brushing against my ear. "All good things come to those who wait." She lifted the blade, running her finger along the edge. "This is going to be fun."