Twenty Six - Pearl

Cassius moved at a fast past, manoeuvring around trees, taking us deeper into the woods away from the Elder's home

Cassius moved at a fast past, manoeuvring around trees, taking us deeper into the woods away from the Elder's home. I remained over his shoulder, upside down, wriggling against him, my tightly curled fist beating across his muscular bare back.

Argh!

I caught my breath, ready to unload another boatload of obscenities as my physical assault was doing very little to slow him down.

A fierce growl erupted, shaking the ground, rattling the trees and scattering the birds.

"Enough, Pearl!"

"Put. Me. Down, Cassius!" Warm tingles sent mixed messages flooding through my body. Our closeness and the intense heat radiating from him was hard to ignore—not to mention the intoxicating smell of Nutella and pine, which was a heady mishmash of scintillating and frustrating.

And low and behold, my girlie parts clearly hadn't got the message that she would be out of action until he damn well changed his attitude toward us.

The air was punched from my lungs as he came to a halt.

"I'm going to put you down, Pearl, and I wish to speak to my mate without another crass word. How one so small with the face of an angel can use so many vulgar words is unfathomable." He lifted me from his shoulder.

Whatsmall? What in the goddess' name did my size have to do with it? And... Ha! I hadn't even gotten started. "And don't think I'm not afraid to use more of them!" I spat out.

"What is the need for such language to pour from those beautiful lips?"

Beautiful lips, I huffed. If he thought he could sweet talk me, then he was mistaken.

My wolf whined, but it was no surprise she was on his side.

Feet firmly on the ground, the blood rushed from my head, making me woozy. "Wow." I stumbled.

His hands settled on my shoulders to steady me as a look of concern washed over him. "Are you calm now?"

Calm, Calm! He must have hit his head.

He quietly assessed me.

I felt anything but calm. But I had to tread carefully. This morning when I'd tried to confront him – he'd skipped out on me. And although I wanted to take him down a peg or two... or ten. This would need a re-think of strategy.

Be a little gentler... or subtle... maybe I could try ladylike? Which honestly wasn't one of my strengths.

Taking a measured breath. "No Cassius, calm is the last thing I feel." I straightened my clothes and flicked back my hair. "And you throwing me over your shoulder and carrying me away isn't the best way to calm me."

I was lying. And if I was honest, that was a sure-fire way to make be horny. But he didn't need to know that... yet!

Cursing under his breath, his gaze lifted upward. "I do not intend to upset you Pearl as I'm sure it's not your intent to anger me."