6. Heavy

Jasmine Knight

"But that's not all." Uncle Andy said.

Great, there's more.

"Onto our second problem, our old rival groups in the Steel Industry, paid some of our workers to report a false complain to the police about mixing impurities in pure alloy to earn more money with less steel usage. Few years back, it looked like a potential problem on the rise so I used my contacts and dismissed them. I gave the officials a proof of our innocence but they weren't completely satisfied." Uncle Andy continued.

"Isn't the Steel Industry and the Telecommunications a way for earning money legally to you?" Arden asked.

"Yeah, it is." I replied.

"Well then, we can apply for an official check from the government's side. Once they're satisfied about it's authenticity, we may put this matter to bed." Arden said.

"We can't do that. The government is fed up of us Mafias too and I'm afraid they'll tamper with the evidence and provide false records making up a false case. They can very easily have all of our properties and businesses confiscated. This brings me to the third and most grave problem of all." Uncle Andy said.

He took a sip off the cup of coffee and placed it on the table again. Almost in slow motion.

I could never with his dramatic ass.

"Just tell us already. Quit with the drama." I said and Uncle Andy chuckled.

"Patience is a virtue, my dear child." He said looking at me.

"Who's to say we want any of those damned virtues?" Arden was on the edge of his seat too.

We were beyond curious.

"Do you recall we had a problem with the Steel Industry a couple years back when Ian Knight was still in-charge of it?" Uncle Andy asked Arden.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"Well, turns out we didn't quite bury the hatchet."

And I bury hatches but I keep maps of where I put 'em.

I cannot believe my mind has the audacity to sing songs when I'm in the middle of an important meeting. My conscience does this every time.

I'm fucking tired of her.

The blame is partially on Taylor Swift though. The woman comes up with the most epic song lyrics of all time.

"The FBI is out for our blood again and my sources tell me that this time the case includes you too. It'll need them around a month to officially file the complaint against the both of you in the court." Uncle Andy said.

"Alright then. Just like last time, we'll put up a great fight." Jasmine said.

"Yeah, absolutely. I'm not a coward. I'm not running away from a problem." Arden said.

"I understand your feelings. Both of yours, but trust me if it weren't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't have suggested it in the first place." Uncle Andy said.

"I just need you two to get out of this city for a month at least. Trust me, I'll handle everything here. Once we settle this, I'll ask for you guys to come back. Neither of us can afford getting into this mud at this time." I opened my mouth to protest but Uncle Andy cut me again.

"I promise we will put up a great fight. I just need this fight to take place in your absence." Uncle Andy said.

"Why do we need to do this together? No offence but wouldn't she be safer with either of her cousins rather than me." Arden said.

"Two members of the family vanishing into thin air will be a major red flag. We trust you to keep her safe, not to forget she herself is trained to fight." Uncle Andy said.

"Are you okay with it?" Arden asked and I nodded.

I kept a hand on his but in a fraction of a second, realised I shouldn't have. I felt tingles all over my hand. I quickly retreated my hand back from his.

"Okay then. I'm ready to do this." He said and I agreed.

"Thank you Arden. You have no idea how relieved I am at your answer." Uncle said and he nodded.

"Sure." He curtly replied.

"Alright then. Start packing both of you. You'll take a car and leave tomorrow morning. I'll hand you things with which you may keep in contact with us." Uncle Andy said and both of us stood up.

"Meet you tomorrow. I'll send you the address." Uncle Andy said to Arden.

"Okay." Both the men shared a formal handshake after which Arden turned towards me.

"See you." I said with a smile.

"Yeah, see you." He said, his voice sounded distant as if he's lost in his thoughts.

I don't blame him, the news feels like a bomb being dropped on the head.

Uncle Andy and I exited Arden's cabin with a heavy mind and hard thoughts.

QOTD: What kind of thoughts keep you awake at night?