30. Mafia Code

Jasmine Knight

We pulled up to the house and it was thankfully empty.

The main door was open and so we walked right in. I held Arden's hand and gave it a squeeze. He looked down at our hands, that were clasped together, and then looked me into my eyes.

'I'm here. With you.' My eyes seemed to speak to him and he looked like he knew it. He gave me a half smile and I tried returning him a proper one.

We walked past the living room which was perfectly normal. There was no sign of forced entry.

We walked into the kitchen and it was spotless too. We searched every other room of the house and all of them were empty. The gun in the study was still as is so I took it out and tucked it in my pant.

We finally walked into the backyard and a gasp left my mouth due to the sight in front of me.

Axel's dead body was floating in the swimming pool.

There were three gun shot holes in his body. Two in his chest and one in his stomach. The blood was oozing out of his body and the pool water was all red too.

How long has it been since...?

Tears started pooling in my eyes as I started walking towards the pool. I sent a silent prayer to God for Axel's life.

I kneeled before the pool and was about to touch Axel's body when I heard Arden's voice.

"Don't. Fingerprints." Came his quavering voice. I looked up at him and saw him standing right beside me.

"No!" I shouted and got up from my place. I threw my arms around Arden. Hiding my face in his chest, I let my tears freely flow. He clasped his one hand around my figure and with his free hand, he caressed my hair.

"Arden, he didn't deserve it." I mumbled as I continued crying.

"I know, Jas. I know." He said and it occurred to me.

He just lost his younger brother. His only family. His blood.

I tightened my arms around him and he did the same to me. This hug was more about me consoling him this time, than the other way around.

"I'm so so sorry, Arden." I said and pulled away from the hug but I was still in his arms.

I cupped his face and looked into his eyes. There were unshed tears in them. His grey contact lenses failed in hiding the sadness in his eyes.

I didn't think twice before smashing my lips on his.

This kiss was not of lust or passion. It was slow. It was me, trying to pour all my adoration for him in the kiss. It was me, trying to take away a small fraction of his pain away. It was me, trying to let him know that I'm gonna be here for him. I am here.

He kissed me back but we pulled away quickly. I again hugged him and this time, he buried his face in the hollow of my neck.

I raked my fingers through his lush hair and pulled him closer, if that was even possible. I felt wetness on my shoulder and my heart broke into a million pieces.

"Ms. Knight? Mr. Serrano?" We heard a voice from inside the house.

"We're sent here by Mr. Stalin." A man said as he walked towards us.

I pulled out the gun from my waist band and pointed it at him.

"I'm a man from your Mafia." He said as he kept his hands in the air.

"What is the code of Mrs. Katherine Stalin's Mafia?" I questioned. Adam's parents had two separate Mafia which he combined when he took over.

"Proteggiamo chi non sa proteggersi da solo." He said and I put the gun down.

"We protect those who cannot protect themselves." The both of us repeated the code. It was accessible only to those who are trusted by Aunt Katherine.

"You both need to reach New York." He said and we nodded.

"Paolo here, will take you to the Helipad and from there Mr. Stalin has arranged a chopper for you." He said and gestured towards Paolo.

"We'll take care of all your belongings and the body of Mr. Axel Serrano. You guys need to leave, immediately." The man said and we walked inside the house. I quickly looked around the house and the 3 of us walked outside.

"Can I borrow your phone?" I asked Paolo as Arden and I, sat in the car.

"Sure Ma'am." Paolo handed me his phone.

I dialled Adam's number and he almost immediately picked up.

"Adam, this is Jasmine. We're on the way to the helipad." I said into the phone.

"Okay, great. Reach NYC as soon as possible." He said through the speakerphone.

"Adam, promise me that the bastard who leaked our location will die a slow, painful death." I said and met eyes with Arden who was sitting next to me.

"I promise." Adam said and a wicked smirk etched my face.

Adam always keeps his promises.

QOTD: Do you find hugs comforting?