31. Family

Author's POV

Clad in a black funeral dress and matching black pumps, Jasmine got out of the car. She rang the bell of Arden's house and after a minute passed, a lady opened the door. She looked like an quadragenarian.

"Hello. I'm Jasmine Knight and am here to see Arden." Jasmine said as she gave the lady a polite smile.

"Hello, dear, I'm Agatha. I've heard of you. He's in his room." Agatha said and pointed at Arden's room.

"Okay. Thanks." Jasmine said and walked towards his room. She knocked and heard irritated voice.

"I don't wanna talk, Agatha. Please go away." He said and Jasmine twisted the doorknob, opening the door.

"Hey, Arden." She softly said as she stepped into the room which was bathed in darkness.

Her eyes widened as she saw Arden sit by the side of his bed, his back touching the bedside and the only source of light was the night lamp placed on the bedside table next to Arden.

Arden's face was visibly pale since the last time they were at the Pericoloso warehouse, the day they arrived in New York which was the roughly a week ago. He hadn't shaved in the past days and the thing which alarmed Jasmine the most was that there was a knife in his hand.

"What the fuck are you doing with that thing?" Jasmine said as she hurried towards him and took the knife out of his hand and threw it across the room.

"Axel died, Jasmine. He's dead. Because of me." Arden said as he hugged his knees to his chest and buried his head in his hands.

"What are you talking about? He didn't died because of you. You didn't kill him." Jasmine said as she raked her finger through his hair and held his hand.

"No but I did. I didn't shot the bullets but he took them for me. He died for me." Arden said and Jasmine couldn't help but wrap her arms around his neck.

Arden immediately hugged her back and cried on her shoulder. She ran her hand on the length of his back and pulled him closer. She couldn't bear the sight of him crying. He was so broken, so hurt due for the loss of his brother.

She couldn't help the tears which formed in her own eyes. She had just been to Axel's funeral. It was a closed casket funeral but Jasmine and her family were allowed to see Axel's face one last time. His face and lips had lost all their colour and a part of Jasmine's heart died when she realised that she was never ever going to get to see his vibrant smile ever again.

"Do we even know who leaked our location?" Arden asked.

"I don't know if this is the right time to get into this but, it was Jayden, your assistant, who betrayed us. He is the traitor." Jasmine informed.

"Why did he do it?" Arden questioned.

"He wanted to take over your law firm." Jasmine said.

"Let him take it. I don't even have anything to live for without my brother." Came Arden's half-hearted reply.

"Arden, baby, if you do what you were about to, you're going to waste his sacrifice. He died in vain. Don't let his death become meaningless. He gave his life so that you can live a happy one." Jasmine said.

"Jasmine, you don't understand. He was my only family. He was my last blood relation." Arden said.

"I'm sorry but you don't know what it's like to lose a sibling." He said.

"But I do." Jasmine said and Arden looked at her in confusion.

"I had a twin sister when I was born, Yasmine. She was too weak and unhealthy. When we were 3 months old, she died due to her weak heart. I know I was too small but anyways I know what it feels like to lose a loved one." Jasmine said.

"I'm sorry to hear that. The thing is, I have no one to call mine now." Arden said in a broken voice.

"Well, not no one." Jasmine slowly said.

"Yes, no one. I'm all alone in this world now. Without a family, I have no one to live for." Arden said and once again hid his face in his hands.

"That's where you're terribly wrong, Arden. You do have a family." Jasmine said and took his hand away from his face. She kept his right hand on her flat stomach and gave Arden a minute to realise what was happening.

"Jasmine, you're- are you?" Arden left the question hanging.

"I'm pregnant, Arden, with your child." Jasmine said and Arden went numb for a moment.

"I'm going to be a Dad?" He said as realisation sunk in.

"Yes." Jasmine said and Arden didn't waste a minute in crashing his lips on hers.

"I love you, Jasmine." Arden confessed as they pulled away.

"I love you too, Arden." Jasmine said with a smile.

"Promise me, you'll move on from Axel's death one day and give yourself the chance to become happy. It's what he wanted." Jasmine said.

"I promise." Arden said and once again hugged Jasmine.

~ Jasmine's Outfit ~

QOTD: Did you guys guessed the traitor would be Jayden?

A/N: Are there any special scene requests? I'm having a minor writer's block on the Epilogue for this book and I was wondering whether there are any scene you'd particularly like to read about?

P.S: I won't be uploading the Epilogue (which will be 3-4 chapters after this one) until I get a scene request.