20. Video Call

Arden Serrano

"I loved the cake." I said and cut another piece of the cake before feeding it to myself and her.

Her small action of baking me a cake inspite of what happened when she was 14, touched my heart.

I think I'm in love with her.

As much as I don't like admitting it, I was worried for her the last few days. When she couldn't eat, I didn't feel like eating as well. It deeply pained me to see her in such agony. She couldn't eat anything properly cause of the vomiting problem. Her head, stomach, abdomen and back pained constantly. I did my best to take care of her but at the end of the day, I found myself to be useless. There was nothing I could do to ease her pain.

Period pain hurts as bad as a heart attack.

How we guys are even allowed to breathe the same air as all the powerful girls out there is beyond me.

I never had a sister and until I saw what Jasmine goes through every month, I had no idea how bad the period cramps can be.

Mad respect for every woman out there.

I know that Jasmine is still in pain but still she spent around an hour baking this cake just for me. We are crossed by the hands of fate and we're in a position where we cannot even have a proper cake delivered to our doorstep. We could've just skipped celebrating my birthday all together but she didn't let that happen. I don't even know how she knows about today being my birthday.

She surprised me with the cake and although it's not a proper cake, she somehow made it just like my mother used to.

4 years ago, I lost my mother, my only parent, my lifeline to a cardiac arrest. She had a heart ailment for as long as I can remember. She was a brave person in spite of that. She always taught me how to live. She always taught me the importance of self love and self respect.

I see a lot of her in Jasmine. If she were alive and was ever in a situation where she can meet Jasmine, she'd love her. Alas, that could never happen.

"So, do you wanna call your cousins?" I offered and Jasmine looked at me as if I've lost my mind.

"Yeah and I'd also like to be able to lick my elbows." Jasmine sarcastically said.

"Shut up. Sit here." I lightly slapped her shoulder and pointed at my bed. She followed as I said and I bought my laptop in front of us.

Uncle Andy has created some sort of loophole and with an unknown site, we'll be able to have a video chat with them right now. It was a happenstance that it's my birthday night.

I searched the unknown site and entered the password. Within a couple of seconds, the video call started and we can see Jasmine's whole family in a split screen windows.

"Oh my God!" Jasmine exclaimed as she kept her hands on her mouth and her eyes widened.

"How did you...?" She left the question hanging.

"Uncle Andy's Magic." I whispered and wriggled my fingers before her.

She rolled her eyes and concentrated back on the screen.

"Hello, Everyone." Jasmine greeted her family. Her and I waved at the laptop screen.

"Hello." Everyone greeted her and me back with smiles on their faces.

"How are you both?" Adam Stalin, was the first to shoot a question.

"All good." I answered for the both of us.

"How are you guys? How's my little Luca? How're you doing Chloe?" Jasmine questioned with enthusiasm.

"We all are good, including Luca. I'm doing great, awaiting your niece's arrival." Chloe answered her question on everyone's behalf.

Chloe was pregnant and had gotten bigger than the last time we saw her.

"You've grown so big. I can't wait for the baby's birth." Jasmine remarked.

"We can't either." Adam answered as he kept a hand on his wife's belly.

"Are there any updates on our legal case yet?" I questioned making the environment a little tense.

"No. Unfortunately, not yet but we're very close. Rest assured, you guys will be home very soon." Uncle Andy informed and I didn't miss the look of disappointment in Jasmine's eyes.

"It's okay. Take your time." Jasmine said in a small voice.

"Yeah. We're all good here. Do as you must." I said as I kept a hand on Jasmine's. Her family didn't see it but Jasmine squeezed my hand back.

"So, how's life without your usual luxuries?" River asked in a teasing voice.

"We're doing just fine." I answered on Jasmine's behalf. He was practically mocking her on her cooking skills.

"With that, I assume, you cook for yourself and her." River said and before I could reply, Ian Knight, Jasmine's father glared at his son and shut him up.

"I made this cake for Arden's birthday." Jasmine showed them the pictures she clicked of my cake.

"It's your birthday?" Sara asked.

"Yeah."

"Happy Birthday!" Everyone wished me.

"Thank you guys." I said with a smile. It felt really good to talk with them.

QOTD: Which one would you rather: Phone Call or Video Call?