Chapter Three

"Hello, My name is Maya, What's yours?"

Maya's POV
The little girl appears to only have a few belongings with her. A small backpack, a stuffed animal which she has a tight hold of, and the clothes she is wearing. She looks up and moves further away from me. It's clear that she is obviously scared.

"Hey, i'm not going to hurt you" I say quietly getting down to her level so I can seem 'less scary' "Are you okay, do you need help"

The girl looks up as more tears begin to flow out of her eyes. She nods her head. I move closer to her and offer her my hand.

"Come on, let me take you to my office. I promise it's not scary. I can help you" The little girl takes my hand and grabs ahold of it tight.

We walk into my office and I show the girl to my personal bunk. "Stay here for a moment, I promise i'll be right back" I say to the little girl as a look of fear covers her face.

She lets out a small wimper "okay" she says really quietly almost as if she was scared to speak.

I head off upstairs to the beanery and the rest of the team is sat up waiting for Travis to be done making lunch.

"Captain, it's about time you joined us" Warren says as I make my way over to the fridge.

"I'm so sorry, but can you just save me some of what ever your making. I've got a situation to deal with so i'm not going to make it for lunch"

I grab one of my yoghurts out of the fridge along with some fruit and a bottle of water.

"What situation. do you need any..." Hughes says as I cut her off.

"No, it's okay. I can handle this alone"

I turn back around and head on down to my office where the little girl has stayed in the same place I left her. I walk carefully towards her in an attempt to not scare her.

"I'm back" I say calmly as I sit down on the bed next to her, "I brought a little food and some water if you want some"

The little girl looks at me and almost instantly wraps her arms around me and buried her face into me and begins to cry again. Almost as if it was instinct, I rub my hand up and down her back. I offer her the water and she sits back up and takes it. I decide to try and ask her again,

"What's wrong, why are you here by yourself"

She looks up at me with tears in her eyes "My mommy, she...she...she sent me a-a-away" She says as she begins to cry.

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out what looks to be a letter. I take it from her and pull her back into a hug to calm her down, she seems to settle when she hugs me. I begin to read the letter.

This girl is called Amelia-Grace Walker. She is 6 years old and her birthday is November 27th. If you are reading this, that means you are brave enough to handle this child. I give up. She is too much to handle anymore. I do not what her being returned to me. She is selfish and ungrateful and overall a brat. She's just trouble... (The letter goes on and on)

I finish reading the letter as tears begin to fall from my eyes. I feel so disgusted that this child's mother has just abandoned her child like this. I gently place my hand under her chin and pull her face out from my chest and make it so she can look up and see me.

"Amelia-Grace, is that your name"

She moves her eyes from looking at mine to the badges on my collar.

"Yeah, but I don't like it. I like being called Amelia, just Amelia." one of her hands moves up from around me to my captains badges and she begins to fidget with them.

"Sorry, Amelia. I'll remember that. Amelia, if you don't want to answer this, it's fine but did your mommy leave you here"

Even more tears begin to form in her eyes
"No, she... she gave me my bag a-a-and bear and that p-p-paper and pushed m-m-me out the door and... and... and" She's now uncontrollably sobbing.

"Hey, Hey, Hey. shhhhh" I pull her back into a hug and a run my hand through her hair to try and relax her " it's okay, you have told me enough"

"I couldn't get back in" Her words filled with tears.

"I know, I know sweetheart. Your safe now. I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you anymore"

A/N- This chapter is a little shorter than i would have liked but i thought that it was a good place to end. If you have any ideas for her storyline, let me know.

Also thank you for 100 reads. it might not be much to some people but i didn't ever think people would actually read this.

Bye xx