Chapter Thirty

THREE DAYS POST ACCIDENT

Maya's POV

I've finally been discharged from the hospital following my 72 hour observation. All I had wrong with me following the accident was a concussion and a sprained wrist which is now on the mend. Now that I have been discharged, I can finally go and see Amelia because when I was under observation, I wasn't allowed to see her. Carina had shown me photos and face timed me during her visits but I wanted to see her in person. Maybe then, I will be able to accept the fact that I might not get to take her home.

I meet up with Carina at her office, which is where she has been staying since the accident because she couldn't bring herself to go home alone, and we walk down to Amelia's room together.

Nothing can ever prepare you for this. No matter how long I stared at the photos of Amelia, her tiny body attached to all the machines, I still was not ready, emotionally, to see her like that. I wanted nothing more than to be able to hear her giggle again, or watch her run out of school at the end of the day. 

Carina and I sit together and hold onto Amelia's hand and just talk to her, hoping and praying that she can hear us.

SEVEN DAYS POST ACCIDENT

Arizona's POV

seven

seven days Amelia hasn't been awake.

seven days a vent has been keeping that little girl alive

We have ran every test that we could to figure out why she won't wake up. She has high levels of brain activity and there appears to be no major damage to it, but she still won't wake up.

"Maya, Carina. It's time to talk now" I tell them when I go to Amelia's room like I do multiple times a day to do my usually checks on her, only this time, I am joined with Amelia's social worker. I have been putting off this conversation for a couple days now, but we need to be realistic. I watch Maya and Carina give Amelia a soft kiss on her forehead before they follow me into one of the meeting rooms. 

I sit on one side of the table and Maya, Carina and Camilla sit on the other.

"We need to work out what we are going to do. We have ran every test in the book and we cannot find a reason as to why Amelia is not waking up. It's time to talk about how long we are going to wait. How much time post accident are you going to allow Amelia to have to wake up before you stop. Because we don't know if keeping her on the vent is hurting her. We don't want to keep her alive if her body isn't strong enough to stay alive and cause her unnecessary pain and suffering. As much as I hate to say this because I even see Amelia as your own child, Amelia is just in your care and not seen as your child in the court of law, and therefore, this is a decision that you are to make with Camilla Luddington." I tell them. It breaks my heart to be having this conversation with them, but it has to be done.

"Okay" Maya says, slowly nodding her head and chewing her bottom lip. "What do you recommend we do" she asks.

"I would say nothing more than 50-60 days post accident to allow her to wake up, but chances are that if she doesn't wake up after 30 days, she...well she probably won't ever wake up." I watch as Maya turns to face Carina and Camilla and they have a quiet conversation between the three of them. "I'm going to let you talk about it, I will be right outside of the room when you are ready" I tell them before getting up and leaving the room.

10 minutes later, they call me back into the room. I shut the door and take my seat back on my side of the table. "So, do we have a timeframe we have decided on" 

Carina and Maya are sat there heartbroken so Camilla speaks for them. "We have agreed on 45 days post accident. if in 38 days, Amelia has not woken up, we have decided to stop all life saving treatment at 5pm, 45 days post accident." She says as calmly as possible, given the circumstances.