Chapter Twenty One

Maya's POV

I stay laid on the hospital bed with Amelia, my arm wrapped around her back, her head resting on my shoulder as she had been trying to sleep but couldn't. Carina was asleep on a chair in the corner of the room and even though I really wanted to go to sleep, I didn't want to in case Amelia needed me. 

Amelia has been in the hospital for a while because of the her pain in her stomach and a really high fever, but her fever that she had before we got here had improved with all the cold fluids she was given through her IV, it was clear she still had a slight fever because her cheeks were still really flushed and she was still a bit pale. 

I looked at the clock in the room and saw it was seven in the morning meaning that rounds were going to start soon so I woke up Carina before they came into Amelia's room.

Around 10 minutes later, a group of doctors walk into Amelia's room, along with Dr Robbins who had a big smile on her face.

"Ok, who is going to present" Arizona says to the group of light blue scrubbed doctors. "Dr Helm, would you"

"Yes Dr Robbins" She begins "Amelia-Grace Walker"

"Just Amelia please Helm" Dr Robbins corrects.

"Yes Sorry. Amelia Walker, Six years old. Came into the ER last night with a fever of 104.3 and abdominal pain, tenderness and vomiting. Was admitted and given cold IV fluids to lower her fever which worked as last time it dropped down to 100.7. Awaiting diagnosis from a blood test." She finished.

"And we have the results" Dr Robbins says. "And I was right, Amelia has appendicitis, and as she hasn't been able to eat for a while, I felt comfortable with scheduling her appendectomy at 11."

"Thank you Arizona, I mean Dr Robbins." Carina says to her.

"Its alright, now I can order some pain meds if she wants or we can wait it out till the surgery." Dr Robbins says.

"Make my belly not hurt anymore" Amelia says to Arizona.

"Ok Amelia, I'll go get a nurse to give her some morphine to take the pain away" Dr Robbins says as she walks the group of doctors out the room.

For the first time since Amelia woke us up ill, I finally feel as though I could breathe properly again. That fear that Amelia was ill was so immense that it was taking over my entire being, but knowing that she is going to be fine made me so relieved. 

*11 AM*

Arizona Robbins POV

"Its time to say good bye for now to your Momma and Mamma, Amelia" I say to her as we get to the red line outside the OR floor.

"Why can't they come" She asks me, fidgeting with her hands a lot

"Only surgeons can cross this line to keep everyone safe, and I promise you will see them both again very soon" I tell her, her fidgeting not being as extreme.

"Okay, am I aloud hugs from momma and mamma" She asks kindly.

"Of course you can" I tell her. "But then we have to go and make you all better".

"Okay" She gives Maya and Carina a hug and they both nod signalling they are ready.

"I will take good care of your little girl okay" I tell they both as Maya and Carina's eyes both start to well up.

"okay" Maya mouths as my team pushes Amelia past the double doors.

---

I finish scrubbing and walk into the OR where Amelia lies on the table, waiting to be put under. I get gowned up and walk over to Amelia. "Okay Princess, are you ready to have a little sleep so I can make you feel better"