Chapter Seventeen

Maya's POV

Its been two weeks since the incident at the park and so far we have heard very little about the police case. All we know is that the police have all the photos we took of Amelia when we found her but that was all. Amelia is doing a little better. She falls asleep in her own bed every night, but she must be waking up at some point in the night and climbs into bed with Carina and I as we wake up every morning with her sandwiched between us. She is registered at the hospitals day care but when we dropped her off the first day, she freaked out too much so she has been coming to the station with me and then Carina picks her up when her shift finishes. But even though I'm not working today, we are trying the day care again as she can't keep staying at the station 3 days a week for hours and hours. I'm going to stay in Carina's office all day so if it gets too much, I can see her, but we hope to keep her there till the end of Carina's shift without issues.

"Do you have your backpack Amelia" I say as I poke my head around the door of Amelia's room.

"Its over there" She points to the bottom of her bed where her bag is sat. "Don't touch it." She says sternly which surprises me.

"I won't. but you need to go get it then and come put your shoes and coat on because its raining today" I say to Amelia. "we don't want Carina to be late for work do we" She shakes her head, stands up, gets her bag and walks over to me.

"Can you help me with my shoes and coat please" She asks me as we walk towards where we keep the shoes.

"I can yes. And thank you for asking nicely" I praise her before helping her with her shoes and zipping up her coat.

"MAYA" Carina shouts from our room.

"YEAH" I shout back.

"HAVE YOU SEEN MY KEYS" She walks out our bedroom "I thought I left them on my bedside" She says as she goes into the living room.

I look at Amelia who is looking at the floor.

"Carina come here please" I say to Carina as I piece together something.

"You found them bambina" She asks me.

"No, well sort of" I look at Carina then look at Amelia. "Have you seen Carina's keys Amelia"

Amelia says silent.

"Can you pass me your bag please" I ask the six year old. She passes me the bag and I search it. At the bottom of her bag I find Carina's keys. "Why did you have Carina's keys Amelia"

Tears start falling from Amelia's eyes. "I...I... I thought if she... if she didn't have them, I... I wouldn't have to...to go." More tears start spilling from her eyes. "S...s...so I took them when you and Carina were in the bathroom"

"Amelia, we don't take things from other people that aren't ours." Carina tells Amelia, trying not to be too strict so she doesn't scare her but still raising her voice slightly.

"I'm sorry Carina" Amelia says quietly.

"I forgive you Amelia, but when you come home, you can't watch TV okay. What you did was naughty." Carina say to her.

Amelia nods her head as more tears roll down her cheek.

"Use your words Amelia" Carina tells the little girl.

"Okay"

"Right come on then" I say to the two of them, handing Amelia her bag back "Let's go to the car please" I hold my hand out to Amelia and she takes a hold of it, but doesn't say a word.

*AT THE HOSPITAL*

The car ride to the hospital was silent. Amelia hadn't said a word since we found out she took Carina's keys. We had never had a problem with her taking things from us and hiding them so I knew it must of had something to do with day care. I help Amelia out of the car and help her put her backpack on before she takes a hold of my hand.