Chapter Twenty Nine

"lets get her closed and up to the PICU for constant observation"

Maya's POV

"Maya, I'm here. I'm here" I hear Carina say as they walk into my room. I don't look at them. I stay on my side, looking out the window, silently crying. "Maya?"

"Not now" I tell her, desperately wanting to be alone. "Please just..."

"I'm not leaving Maya. I could have lost you. And...and...and if that happened I don't know what I would do." She cries out as she walks around to where I am facing so I have no option but to look at her.

"But Amelia. She...she...she could have been okay. If I just went to work today, Amelia would have been safely in day care. This is my fault. This...this..." I struggle to breathe and start uncontrollably crying. 

"Hey, hey. This...this is not your fault Maya. Don't you ever say that. This... this was a freak accident and it could have happened to anyone."

"BUT IT HAPPENED TO ME. IT HAPPENED TO AMELIA ON A DAY WHERE SHE COULD HAVE BEEN SAFE." I shout at her. "Please just...just leave me alone." I watch as she slowly nods her head and wipes the tears away. I hear the door to my room shut and the tears don't stop. The thoughts running through my head don't stop. The guilt that I hurt Amelia doesn't stop. I don't even know if she is okay.

she didn't wake up

she was rushed to the OR

what if she never wakes up

what if the last thing we did was go shopping

what if we never get to take her on holiday

what if we never get to see her birthday

what if we never get to make her Amelia Bishop-DeLuca...

Carina's POV

I didn't want to leave Maya's side but she didn't want me there so the best thing I could do was give her that space. I decided to just go back to my office and told one of the nurses to page me if Maya wanted to talk.

I sit down at my desk and hold my head in my hands and just break down. I haven't had an update on Amelia yet and all Andrea told me was that she never woke up after the accident and was being rushed to the OR because she has a major brain bleed. So not only will Maya not speak to me, Amelia is in a really bad way and might not wake up. 

no don't think like that

Amelia will be okay

will she...

Arizona's POV

"Shepherd, can you come with me to talk to Carina and Maya" I ask once we have Amelia set up in the PICU

"Yeah, I can do that" She responds after she finishes updating Amelia's chart. "Page me if anything changes" She tells one of the nurses at the nurses station.

"Yes Doctor Shepherd" She responds.

We walk to where Maya will be and ask one of the nurses what room she is in.

"Maya Bishop is in room 407. Would you like me to page down Dr DeLuca also or is this just a matter for Maya." The nurse asks the two of us.

"Yes, page Dr DeLuca. She will want to be here for this" Amelia tells the nurse who send the page off to Carina.

Five minutes later Carina comes running onto the floor. "Is it Maya. Did something happen" She says, her voice quite panicked and her eyes clearly bloodshot.

"No, Maya is okay. We just have an update for Amelia and we wanted you and Maya to hear it together" I tell her as calmly as possible.

"Oh god. Okay." She says before all three of us make our way to Maya's room.