III

The next day Kiaan was joining the new office. Since his car was yet to arrive from Bangalore, Misha was going to drop him to his office before going to her hospital.

She got dressed in a pair of boyfriend jeans and a green top. Aamna had made tomato and lettuce sandwiches for breakfast. Misha gulped down her breakfast along with a glass of orange juice and wrapped a sandwich in a tissue before leaving home.

She drove her car out of the garage, into the main street and stopped it in front of his home. She horned twice before Kiaan came out while wearing his suit jacket. He locked the door with his key and got inside the car. As soon as he closed the car door behind him, a strong smell of mint enveloped them. It was his aftershave, and Misha couldn't help but take a deep breath. She didn't know why, but she loved the scent.

She passed him the sandwich that she had brought. "I knew you mustn't have had breakfast."

He gave her a grateful smile and bit into the food.

"Best of luck, okay?" She said to him when she pressed brakes outside his new office.

He looked at the skyscraper and muttered a thank you before leaving the car. She saw him walk inside the building, before starting the engine and zooming away.

Her day was busy as usual. She had three surgeries lined up. She had texted Kiaan that she won't be able to pick him up from the office since she'd be late. So he booked a cab for himself and went home.

Entering the kitchen to make dinner was the toughest job. Rolling up his sleeves, he got to work. He had decided to make simple dal chawal. It started off good, but somehow the end results were not good anymore. His dal was as runny as water, and he had overcooked his rice.

After taking a bite, he gagged at what he had cooked. But he didn't have any option, so he forced down a few bites of that, before grabbing an apple from the fridge.

He then went to his room to freshen up and change his work clothes. After that, he sat on the recliner that was placed in his room with a book. While reading it, he munched on the apple. He had had a very tiring day, adjusting in the new work environment and then cooking that unsuccessful meal. So his eyes started to droop and before he knew, he had passed out on the recliner and the book fell on his chest.

It was a little late than 10 when Misha got home. She wanted to check on Kiaan, but before she could call him, she saw him through her balcony. He had fallen asleep in that not-so-comfortable recliner. She suddenly felt bad for him. He had never stayed away from his family and she knew that coming to Delhi was not easy for him, especially the cooking part. So from the next day, she asked Aamna to cook dinner for him as well.

Kiaan tried to refuse when Aamna went over to his place with his dinner, but Indian mothers had always been good with emotional blackmails.

Over the next few weeks, Kiaan adapted himself in his new job and life, while Misha got used to having him around. His car had arrived so she didn't drive him to his office anymore, but they met after work. And if she was running late in the hospital, she'd go over to his place the next day, before leaving for work.

One weekend, coincidentally Misha had an off. Kiaan had come over to her home and they both were in her room. A random movie was playing on the TV, while they both were engrossed in their phones.

Suddenly both their phones pinged at the same time. It was a text from a WhatsApp group of their school batchmates. One of their mates, Piya, was getting married and she had invited the entire batch for her reception that was being held in a five star hotel in Delhi.

"So," Kiaan looked at her, "Should we go?"

Misha checked the date. It was three days later. She had a six hour duty that day at the hospital, "Yeah, I don't have much work. And besides, we haven't met our school friends in a long time." She replied.