XI

The next day was the haldi function. Seher and Ahad were made to sit together while all the family members and relatives smudged them with turmeric paste.

Mahnoor was attending to all guests in the function, but her mood got ruined when she saw Saba come with her mother. And since Zafar was also present at the function, Jabira and Fauzia had wasted no time in introducing him to Saba.

At the end of the function, Mahnoor saw Ahad pull Seher in a secluded corner and apply haldi on her cheeks lovingly. Then he leaned in and kissed her nose. A smile appeared on Mahnoor's face watching the couple and she mentally prayed for their eternal happiness. But her smile was replaced with a frown when her eyes fell on Zafar and Saba. They were standing together with their respective plates of food in their hands. Saba said something that made Zafar smile, and Mahnoor's hold on the chair beside her tightened.

"Noorie, did you eat?" Fauzia came and asked Mahnoor.

"No, mami. Not yet."

"You should. Your favorite afghani chicken is on the menu." Fauzia patted her cheek lovingly.

Honestly, Mahnoor was in no mood to eat but she was not going to give up afghani chicken for that godforsaken man who was busy stuffing the same chicken with some other woman. So she marched up the buffet counter and served herself a plate of food.

Seher and Ahad were taken to their respective rooms where they took shower to get rid of all the turmeric paste. The guests slowly started to leave as well. Winding up everything, the family members went to take some rest as well.

It was about 7 in the evening when Mahnoor came out of her room, only to bump into Zafar. He passed her a smile but she just ignored him. They both reached downstairs and found the twins playing video games on the living room TV.

"Boys, shut it. I want to watch a show." Mahnoor said to them.

Sahil shook his head without getting his eyes off the screen. "Go find some other TV to watch your thing."

"But Sahil, I want to watch it here." Mahnoor whined.

"Noorie aapi.." Sahil started but was cut off by Zafar.

"You both have been playing for a couple of hours now. Shut it down and let her have the TV." Zafar ordered them.

Normally, Mahnoor would beam with happiness when Zafar took her side. But today she turned towards him and passed him a glare. "Did I ask for your help?"

Zafar was taken aback. Sahil and Shahid were surprised as well and paused their game.

"Don't you have any other work than poking your nose in my business, like, talking to Saba?" Saba's name left a bitter taste in Mahnoor's mouth.

"What are you.." Zafar tried speaking but Mahnoor didn't listen. "Forget it," She said, "I'll go watch my show in nani's room." With that, she padded off while the three boys stared at her back.

"What happened to her?" Shahid voiced after a few seconds. Sahil shrugged his shoulders and they both resumed playing. But Zafar kept thinking about it. Mahnoor's cold behavior hadn't sat well with him. He was used to her giving him her sweet smiles and warm stares. So what changed suddenly?

That night, sleep didn't come easy to Mahnoor and Zafar. But apart from them, two other people who stayed up all night were Seher and Ahad. They both were cuddled up on the swing in the terrace. They talked all night about their future and only went down after they'd watched the sun rise. He dropped her outside her room, took both her palmes in his, kissed them lovingly and promised to meet her at the altar.

After praying the fajr prayer, Seher decided to get some sleep to avoid having huge dark circles on her wedding day. At noon, Shaheen came to wake her daughter up with breakfast in bed. Then she was sent to have a warm shower before the beauticians arrived to doll up the bride for her wedding day.

Mahnoor got ready in a pastel pink organza saree. She pulled her hair in a low bun and left a few tendrils to fall on her face. For jewelry, she had decided on a pair of silver earrings, choker and a couple of rings.

"Noorie, have you seen Zafar?" Almaas asked her when she stepped out of her room.

"No," Mahnoor replied. And I don't want to.

"Beta, can you please go and check if he has gotten ready? He needs to be at the entry gate to welcome guests." Almaas requested.

Mahnoor half-heartedly nodded and walked towards Zafar's room.

She knocked on his door, and while waiting for him to open, she gave herself a little pep-talk. Just tell him to reach the gate soon and leave. Simple. Easy. Quick.

But all those thoughts shot right out of her mind when a semi-naked Zafar opened the door, wearing just his pajamas.

Fuck me! Her mind shouted as her eyes trailed down from his face to his very toned chest and stomach.

"I.. you-I mean," She fumbled with her words.

"You want something?" He asked.

Yes! Can I please touch your abs? "No," She replied immediately, "I mean, yes."

Zafar raised his left eyebrow. Mahnoor exhaled loudly before averting her gaze from him. "Could you.. Could you please dress up?"

"I was dressing up, but then you knocked." He replied.

"Just because someone knocked doesn't mean you'd open the door looking like that." She still had her eyes not looking at him, which Zafar found really amusing and adorable.

"Why not?" He asked, while smirking.

"I am not having this conversation with you. Just get dressed and go down to receive the guests." She was about to walk away but he stopped her. "Wait, do you know how to stitch a button?"

"What?"

"My kurta's button broke off, so can you please.." He scratched the back of his neck.

"Ask someone else." 

"I can't. Ammi and Aaliya aapi are busy, and Seher is the bride."

Mahnoor sighed defeatedly. "Fine."

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

I have always wanted a hot guy's button to break off and he asks me to stitch it. Why doesn't these kind of stuff happen to me? Why, God, why?

On that note,

Men or food?

Aditya_Jadoun In your case, Women or food?

Just like joey, I want men on bread.