Chapter 38

Miley

The same furniture, same curtains, even the carpet was same... I short nothing was changed. She didn't change anything.

"Nothing's changed" my voice came out narrower than I thought. My throat felt constricted while my eyes shed tears intaking all the familiar things.

I took a step closer to the 'IKEA's iconic Klippan sofa' as my dad used to say. This was his most cherished furniture in the whole house.

I ran my finger on the sofa which had strong smell on it along with a thick coating of dirt.

"This was my dad's favourite sofa. It was very popular that time, so he saved money and bought it months later. Even after years, he took care of it as if it was new" I felt Aiden's arm around my waist as he gave me a kiss on cheek. Resting my hands on his arm I took a deep breath.

"There are spiders everywhere. If one falls on me, I will scream. Just telling you so that I don't scare you" he said. I chuckled lightly and looked at the walls. The wallpaper was half torn and was lying on the floor. The spider's net covered half of the  wall and the leftover was infested.

"We should have brought an umbrella" Aiden said following my gaze.

Moving to the other room, coughing and sneezing I noticed footprints. There was someone who visited here before us, weeks ago. The footprints were faint as they were covered with newly settled dirt on them.

Ignoring, I saw Aiden lightly kicking the door of my room to open it.
"This was my room" I told Aiden whose eyes were not leaving my face.

Holding my hand between his hand, he gave me a small smile.
"Cute... Just like you."

The pink walls had lost its glamour. The faint light from the window was enough to show us every corner of my room.

"We can't go in" Aiden said. "I saw a mouse in there" he pointed to the bed.

"This room was painted by me and dad... Most of the things in this house was my dad's work. Every Sunday he used to look at every corner of the house to either paint or to do some changes according to his taste."

I looked at the extreme corner of the room where the cupboard stood.

"That cupboard, I used it as my playhouse. But one day I watched a horror movie where the ghost came out from a cupboard" I laughed softly and continued, "from that day I stopped playing in it."

Suddenly, a memory hit my brain and the dopamine in my body increased.

"Oh my god, Aiden my dad had a photo album in his office" my voice raised in excitement as my eyes were wide open. I hurriedly held his hand and strode to the office. Opening the door which was jammed, we entered in the room. To my surprise the room was much cleaner than the whole house. I walked to the table to see the chair cleaner than other stuff around. Aiden followed me before screaming when a mouse ran towards the door passing next to his foot.

He unwrapped his scarf and cleaned the chair for me to sit on.

He bowed and gestured me to sit while saying "my lady, please have a seat."
Smiling, a sat and waited for his next move.

"He used the scarf to open the first drawer. I leaned towards the front to look in it.

It was full of old untouched news papers. He shifted some of the newspapers but found nothing. The second drawer had the photo album we were looking for.

Aiden took it out and cleaned it with his scarf which he sacrificed for me. Thinking about the sacrifice of his scarf for me made my heart swell and gave me electric effect in my stomach.