Chapter 46

Miley

As my cup touched the surface of the coffee table, I looked up at Mia to see her mirroring my actions.

"So? What do you say?" I asked.

"I don't know... Are you sure?" They asked looking down at their laps and then up at me, in the dilemma I put them in.

"I think, I am. I can't just live here, being a burden on him... At least I have to do something" I said scooting closer to them.

"But leaving college is a little bit... Risky? Why don't you just complete your studies and then do whatever you want."

"I know what you are trying to say... But after... You know everything I have been through with Aiden, something in me changed. My life goals changed. I just don't want to earn and live, I want to live and earn."

"What does that even mean? You just said the same thing after replacing the words" they said frustratingly.

"What I mean is that, earlier I wanted to have a job like everyone else and wanted to live until I breathe my last breath. But now, I want to live... Happily with Aiden and do something I love. Not just... Live."

"Damn... You are serious about him" they whispered while getting up from the couch to the table where I kept my unread novel.

"Mia" I sighed as the topic was being wavered.

"I know, I know... For a man like him who won't" they chuckled, flipping the pages of my novel.

"Aren't you lesbian?" I asked taking the novel from their hand.

"Oh darling, no. I get to taste both the world" they said, walking around the room. "By the way, where is Aiden. I haven't seen him since morning."

"Went to talk to his dad" I said.

They nodded looking at me and then at the floor before looking up at me again and said, "I never heard him talking about his father..."

"It's complicated" I said quietly and swiftly added, "But back to my topic, what do you say?"

"Well if you have already decided then who am I to object? I will support you in every step you take, darling."

"Thanks. I am really glad to hear that."

"Looks like the lover boy is back" I broke our hug and looked back to see Aiden walking out of the car. Soon enough the front door opened and slammed loudly against the doorframe. Mia and I both looked at each other before looking at the Aiden who entered the room.

Before I could say something, Mia announced, "well it was nice talking to you Miley. I will leave you and Aiden to talk alone. See you later."

I broke eye contact from Aiden and replied, "um... yeah, thank you so much Mia for being here. See you."

I watched Mia leave without saying a word to Aiden, as soon as the sound of their exit was heard Aiden strode to my side and crashed his lips on mine. Stumbling a little, he held my waist tightly before pausing for us to breathe.

"You wanna talk about it?" I asked while my fingers touched his slightly warm cheek.

"Just give me a second" he replied.

He snuggled his head on my shoulder and we both stood there in silence.

"He was... Really happy to see me" I tried to separate us to look at him when I heard him sniffle but he gripped me tighter. "I was so annoyed to see that smile on his face but I also felt... nostalgic when I entered the house. I get it Miley, how you felt when you visited your house, the contrasting feelings... I didn't even know what to feel considering I was so lost. And then, we sat down to talk and he told me how much he missed me or how much happy he was to see me there."

I waited for him to continue but he didn't. He raised his head and then I got to look at his puffy, bloodshot eyes which looked deadly in my eyes. Suddenly, he fell on his knees and cried out muttering curses and self-blame. I got on his level, trying to hold his face between my palms but he didn't allow me to.

"What happened, baby? Talk to me. What happened?" I pleaded.

"You w-were right" he said between his cries.

"Right about what?"

"I was so wrong" he said.

"Come here" I sat on the floor and opened my arms to invite him.
He sat between my legs leaning onto me as my back touched the couch. His face rested on my shoulder while my chest felt the wetness of my shirt from his tears.

"How was I right, Aiden?"

"I was scared to talk to him because I was conflicted... Confliction between the anger that was piled up since mom's death and the urge to talk to him but the fear of my decision getting wrong. It terrified me. And now, I was actually proved wrong."

"You were just a kid, baby. You had the right to be mad. You lost your mother and you got no emotional support, it messed you up. But now everything is fine again, let's just focus on that. Regrets won't change anything but ruin our present."

I waited for him to respond but he didn't.

"Let's have sex" I joked earning a chuckle from him. "I wasn't joking."
He shook his head and we stayed in the same position for five more minutes until my back started aching.

*

The next day turned out to be better for both of us.
We both exercised and meditated where I found out that Aiden never closed his eyes and had been staring at me for months. He laughed the situation and I kept calling him creepy which he didn't deny of being. He even invited his dad on New Year's Eve and told him how sorry he was.

Seeing him fine even made me doubt his emotions but turned out he really was fine after a night of thinking.

"Do you remember the first time we met?" he raised his head with a small smile.

"I do. That was the luckiest day of my life; I met an ugly guy who was cocky, arrogant and full of narcissism, but the best thing about him was that he got money in his pocket so now I am dating him."

I saw the smile gradually widening on his face as I stopped talking. His hands gripped the either side of my waist and led me near the bed. His hands pushed me down to sit on the bed, so that I was at his stomach level. His other hand raised my chin to face him, "narcissist? You call me, huh?"

"I think that's what I called you" I replied with a polite smile.

"You are dating me for my money?" He asked as his eyes dilated.

"Yes, I am."

"Seems like you want to be my sugar baby."

I knew where this conversation was heading, and I was not ready for it.
I tried getting up, but it was too late. His hands were gripping my shoulders while his eyes were strained on me.

He leaned down to my face and his lips softly touched mine.
"If you want money, you need to earn it" he whispered huskily, making me clench my legs around his.

"Aiden" I whispered.

"Hmm?"

"Let me go."

"That's not what a sugar baby is supposed to say" he smiled, moving his hand from my neck to the bottom of my shirt. My stomach clenched when his fingers touched my skin.

"You like that?"