Pre-Show (JATP x reader)

Please check bio to see if requests are open before sending any in!

Prompt/summary: Reader has a very strange pre-show ritual she does before every performance, but had never shown the band

Word Count:

Authors note: Not request I just got this idea while scrolling through my prompt list. (Also special thanks to  for helping me come up with this idea!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost a routine for (Y/n) to disappear before every show.

The band had never questioned where they went, brushing it off as nerves or last minute preparations.

They always made it back right on time, normally with minutes to spare to talk to the rest of the group. It had never really been a problem.

"Hey, has anyone seen (Y/n)? We got like, ten minutes until we have to be on," Julie asked the group of ghost boys lounging around the dressing room.

"I haven't seen them since we got here," Luke shrugged.

Alex brushed his hair back into his cap, "I think I saw them heading into their dressing room. That must've been an hour ago or so."

"Let's go look then," Julie sighed.

She led the boys out of the dressing room to the room at the end of the hall where (Y/n) was supposed to be getting ready. As they got closer they could hear the faint sound of music overshadowed by (Y/n) singing loudly over it.

Julie recognized the song instantly, giggling to herself as the boys looked at her confused. She carefully opened the door to reveal (Y/n) standing in front of their mirror. A hat in one hand and a brush in the other.

"What about us? What about everything we've been through?"

They quickly took off the hat, still singing into the hairbrush like it was a mic.

"And what about trust?"

They put the hat back on, "You know I never wanted to hurt you."

At this point, Julie was covering her mouth, trying desperately to conceal her growing laughter at the sight of her friend dramatically re-enacting High School Musical 2.

"But what about me?"

"What am I supposed to do?"

Luke pushed the door open a little farther to get a better look, causing (Y/n) to notice the group hiding behind the door.

They quickly switched off the music.

"Oh, hey guys. Uh, how long were you there?"

Julie giggled, "Enough to see you sing Troy and Gabriella's duet."

(Y/n) cringed, scrunching up their face and throwing the hat down onto the counter, "Guess I can't do that warm up anymore."

"Oh no," Reggie said, "Please keep going, it was really good!"

Luke hit him on the arm.

"Five minutes till places (Y/n)," Julie said, corralling the boys back towards her dressing room.

(Y/n) laughed as she heard Reggie call out, "But Julie, why is it cringe?"

(Y/n) giggled, grabbing their instrument and heading to their spot in the wings.

The rest of the night was filled with music, smiles, and cheers from a great crowd that turned out for the performance. Gear was loaded back into the van and the group climbed in, exhausted from the nights event.

"One more song?" Julie asked.

The band looked at her confused. She pulled out her phone to pull up the spotify app. Within moments 'Gotta go my own way' was playing causing (Y/n) to bury her face into her hands laughing.

"I gotta say what's on my mind. Something about us. Doesn't seem right these days."

Julie grabbed (Y/n)'s hand as the two began belting out lyrics. Luke, Alex, and Reggie sat listening and bopping their heads to the song.

The song came to a close with Julie and (Y/n) still laughing at the ridiculousness of their singing.

"You should do this every show!" Reggie yelled.