Chapter 84

Saad's pov:

Pecking Atifa's forehead, I moved back. Giving a quick glance in Amira's direction, who was also still sleeping, I made my way out of the room.

My unexpected confession about Khansa yesterday was startling for me too. I never thought that I would tell her about that incident anytime soon. I didn't even remember what triggered me to open up that topic. It wasn't that I was regretting telling her anything, but it's just that… I didn't want her to think or worry much.

And honestly, I didn't even remember when was the last time that I actually talked about her to anyone. Everyone at our home avoided talking about her to the point that sometimes it felt like she never even existed in our lives. Sometimes, it felt like even thinking about her was forbidden for us; the reason why I avoided thinking about her at all.

Whenever I used to remember her, I tried to visit her grave after work. And today was one of those days that my mind couldn't take any break from thinking about her. But the only problem was that I wasn't there in Savusavu to visit her unlike the other days.

Mama and baba never explicitly mentioned her since the after effects of that incident wore off. And it sometimes made me wonder if they even missed her or not. Well, it would be kind of good if they actually forgot about her, because then her name or memories won't hurt them anymore. Maybe. And they wouldn't have to constantly worry about something like that happening with Alayna too.

And as for Alayna, she doesn't even exist for her anymore. It hurts to think about it, but that's the truth. She has already forgotten about her and no one was ever going to mention her, at least not in front of her. And even if she does remember anything, it will most probably be her nightmares and nothing else. Because bad memories usually overcome good ones, there is no doubt about that.

Sighing, I tried to shake these thoughts off my mind as the doctor's cabin came into view. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on it once.

Just a while back, the doctor had called me to talk about ammi's reports. I just hoped that everything would be okay, but I forgot that there is a huge difference between hoping and happening…

Once inside the cabin, I immediately realised that the atmosphere of the room was tense as the doctor sat while looking at a file with a sober expression on his face.

Looking up at me, he attempted to give me a subtle smile, but it was pretty obvious from his stance that something was wrong. "If I'm not wrong, you are Safiya Ahmed's son in-law, right?" 

"Yes."

"Can I ask you where her husband is?" Keeping both of his hands on the table and joining them, he asked me curiously.

"Uh… He passed away a few years back…" I mumbled, not knowing what else to tell him.

._._._.

If Ammi's deteriorating health wasn't enough, Atifa's sudden demand to talk to Emaan was adding to my worry. I thought that they knew. I thought that they knew about whatever happened a few years back, just a few days after they left, but I was proved wrong once again. Just like how she didn't know about ammi's health, they didn't know about that incident either.

And I didn't know how to break it to her when she was already sick and worried about ammi and Amira. I knew that if I reveal anything to her now, she might break down and get even more sick, and I didn't want that. Actually, whenever I would reveal it to her, she would break down and get sick, there was no doubt about that. But I had to tell her some day, be it today or tomorrow because she wasn't going to leave that topic alone.

When she asked me for my mobile to dial Zeeshan's number, I knew I was doomed. Because if not today, she was going to get to know about it tomorrow, and she would definitely question me for hiding such a big thing from her.