Chapter 50

Atifa's pov:

"She wasn't like this before..." I finally intervened, letting my presence known as I stared at the door, wishing for her to come back soon.

The room went silent for a while as they stilled, staring at me in shock. Maybe they weren't expecting me to be there, listening to their conversation. Finally turning to look at them, I passed them a small smile, trying not to show what a turmoil my mind had become because of them.

"Anyways, I hope you are enjoying yourselves." Not wanting to talk about it, especially to those people who were ready to judge ammi, I tried to change the topic. Even though I knew that at times she was just too much, and I couldn't believe what she had done or what happened, I still didn't know her reasons and no matter what, she was still my mother. I couldn't tolerate people talking like that about her.

"Oh yes beta, come and sit here with us now." Aunty Maria said with a small smile, patting the place beside her. I smiled at her and my gaze flickered to the water bottle on the table in front of her, which was almost empty.

(Oh yes dear,)

Desperate to get away from them for a while and compose myself, I shook my head. "Jee, bas do minute. Mai paani ki bottle bhar du." Saying that, without waiting for their reply, I picked up the bottle before dashing into the kitchen. Leaning on the wall beside the door, I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself down as tears brimmed my eyes, threatening to escape.

(Yes, just two minutes. I will refill this water bottle.)

"Agar mere Saad ki shaadi ki baat Shanzay se nahi chal rahi hoti na to mai isi ko apni bahu banana pasand karti. Kitni pyaari ladki hai ye." My breath was still shaky when I heard aunty Maria speaking, making my breath hitch. What was she talking about? They were fixing his marriage? But he didn't even tell me about it, nor did bhabi mention anything like that.

(If we hadn't sent the proposal for Saad to Shanzay, I would have loved to make her my daughter in-law. She is so sweet.)

"Wohi Shanzay na jo Saad ke office me uske saath kaam karti hai?" One of the aunties asked her curiously and I gulped down the lump forming in my throat.

(The same Shanzay who works in Saad's office, right?)

"Haa wohi. Wo hamari jaan pehchaan ki bhi hai. Faisal ke dost ki beti hai. Badi khubsurat hai." She replied, I could feel happiness radiating off her voice.

(Yes. We already know her. She is the daughter of one of Faisal's friends. She is very pretty.)

"Accha. Aap logo ne rishta bhej diya uske ghar?" Another woman asked, making my heart beat increase as I anticipated her answer. They wouldn't have sent the alliance already, right? I mean...

(I see. Have you sent the proposal already?)

"Jee, kal hi to leke gaye the. Usse pehle phone par baat kar li thi." Laughing, she replied excitedly. My heart dropped down at her answer. I couldn't believe my ears. How... could... he have agreed... to meet her? Did... he... like... her? Was that the reason why he was in so much hurry yesterday? But he said that he was heading to his office. Was he lying to me?

(Yes, we went there yesterday. We already talked on call before that.)

"Accha, badi acchi baat hai tab to. Phir to shayad hame jald hi shaadi ka nevta milne wala hai." Another woman said happily. Feeling numb, I walked over to fill the bottle of water, my mind muddled up with this new found information.