Chapter 33

Atifa's pov:

I couldn't stop my tears from streaming down my face every once in a while as realisation hit me time and again about what I was supposed to do. About what ammi told me. I didn't understand what was she planning, or why! All of this was just too confusing and mentally draining.

Things were finally getting better, weren't they? Everything was going back to normal, wasn't it? Then why? Why did this suddenly happen? Why this sudden change of mind? Why when we were finally getting comfortable with each other? These thoughts clouded my mind, not leaving me alone.

I couldn't even imagine what he might feel when he would wake up tomorrow to an empty bed, empty room and most importantly, an empty house. The same house which was supposed to spread warmth and comfort would now be empty. The same house which was our home, in which we made thousands of memories, would now be void of any of it.

And I didn't even know the reason behind it! Was this fair? Was this fair in any way? No it wasn't. Nothing was fair. Why? Just why?!

A sob threatened to escape my lips once again as I covered my mouth with my palm. Leaving my stuff as it was, I rushed towards the washroom. Closing the door gently, I slid down, letting my thoughts and tears run wild.

I so desperately wished for this to turn out as just a dream. Was it too much to ask for? Was it too much if I asked for reasons? Was it too much if I tried to understand her? Was it too much if I was just trying to find comfort and peace in my daily life?

I didn't know! And at that point, it felt like I wouldn't even get to know about it anytime soon. Leaning my head back, I brought my knees closer to my chest, hugging myself. I hated this! I just...

A memory suddenly resurfaced, making me close my eyes as a sigh escaped in-between my ragged breaths.

I stood there, in a corner of our living room, watching ammi and abbu with confusion filled gaze. I was searching for Amira in the whole house but to no avail. It was weird. She seemed to have disappeared like she wasn't even here in the first place.

"Daniyal..." Ammi muttered with tears streaming down her face. Abbu was sitting beside her with a worried look on his face.

"Meri jaan..." He uttered painfully, wrapping one of his arms around her shoulder in a comforting manner and rubbing her arms soothingly.

(My life...)

I was compelled to go and comfort her when I saw her crying. I had never seen her cry like this before. Watching them like this, a frown formed on my face too. What was the matter?

"Ab kya hoga? Meri bacchi... Daniyal meri bacchi..." I was just about to take a step ahead when her words trapped me in my place as she sobbed, covering her face. What was she talking about? What happened to me? I was alright, haina? Standing in a corner albeit a bit away from them, but they could still see me, right? Or what happened to Amira? She was alright too, haina?

(What will happen now? My child... Daniyal my child...)

"Kuch nahi hoga meri jaan. In Sha Allah kuch nahi hoga use." Abbu replied in a soothing voice, pulling her a bit closer to him.

(Nothing will happen my life. If God Wills then nothing will happen to her.)

"Lekin Daniyal... Doctors ne to kaha ke..." Ammi started saying something, still sobbing heavily. I was confused out of my mind, not knowing what was actually happening. I wanted to confront them, ask them what was wrong. Ask them what was the matter. But watching them breaking down like this, it scared me. Was I ready to hear the answers?