Chapter 1

Atifa's pov :

The alarm rang for like the 3rd time and I finally woke up yawning. I have been putting my alarm on snooze for the last fifteen minutes as I just wanted to snuggle up in my comforter and sleep for a few more hours. I couldn't sleep early last night as I kept thinking about all the things that happened in the past few years.

'Alhamdulillahillazi Ahyana Baadamaa Amatana Wa Ilaihin Nushuur" All praise is for Allah who gave us life after causing us to die, and unto Him is the resurrection. I read this dua as it is sunnah to read it.

After freshening up and praying I took out my Quran. Alhamdulillah, I have this habit of reading Surah Yaseen and some pages of Quran after Fajr prayer. So I took the Quran from the book shelf and sat back down to start my recitation.

There is a hadith regarding reading Surah Yaseen after Fajr which follows as: The Hadith mentioned by ‘Ataa bin Abi Rabaah (R.A.) states that the Prophet (S.A.W.) said: “Whosoever recites Surah Yaseen in the early part of the day his needs will be fulfilled.” (Mishkaat, Page 189).

I knew ammi would be sleeping now and even Amira would be asleep. So after my recitation, I headed downstairs towards the kitchen and started making breakfast. I know it might seem early but ammi have to go to work and I even have to pack her lunch. Getting to work, I made chappatis (tortilla's) and omlette. After packing her lunch I cleaned up the kitchen and while I was working I started doing dhikr since it is said in the Quran;

"Those men and women who engage much in Allah's praise for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward." ~Quran 33:35

After cleaning the kitchen I glanced at the clock, it showed 7 a.m. Setting the breakfast at the table, I went to brew two cups of coffee. Ammi would be up already by now and she needs coffee the first thing in the morning.

As I took the two cups of coffee to the dining table I saw ammi was already sitting there ready to go. I handed one cup to her.

"Assalamualikum ammi." I greeted while sitting on the chair opposite to hers.

"Hmm, Walikumussalam." She replied and started having her breakfast. 

I just sipped my coffee silently, thinking of the time when we would be talking and chatting while having breakfast. Those days were gone now, and thinking about them just hurts me. It used to be so much fun back then, no worries or stress about anything. The breakfast went with none of us uttering another word. Both immersed in our own thoughts.

After the breakfast, ammi stood up and went in her room to grab her bag. I went in the kitchen to take her lunch bag and came back only to see ammi standing in front of the door strapping her heels. I rushed towards her.

"Ammi, aapka lunch…" I stopped her before she could open the door and handed it to her with a small smile hoping to get one in return. I knew it was hopeless but one can still hope. That was the only thing which kept me going on. (Your)

"Jazak Allah." She replied without any emotion as always and went out of the door, locking it.

As soon as the door locked, my smile slipped and tears sprang to my eyes. I blinked them away and turned around. No, I was already tired and this was not the time for it. This has been happening since a year and I should have gotten used to it. But it still hurts. A lot. And I still have to get used to it one day.

I shook my head and went towards the dining room. After cleaning the dining table and the kitchen I went to my room. All this while I was doing dhikr to take my mind off of things and was trying my best not to overthink. Allah is with the patient and I should trust Him. In Shaa Allah things will be alright soon and ammi will be back to her old self. At least I hope so.