chapter 46

As the proverb from the Hausa people say Rana bata karya sai dai uwar ya taji kunya like a scenario from a film series Afrah stare at her reflection in the mirror and sigh, she still can't process that today is her wedding with her uncle, she's marrying her aunt husband jalal told her earlier her brother is going to be the one to give her hand in marriage, never have anyone see such a wedding where nobody is happy about even jalal obnoxious mother wasn't in support of the idea of him marrying afrah she says Lailah deserve respect but jalal keep deaf ears to whatever anyone say, Lailah has been in her bedroom since yesterday shhe cried soo hard that she fainted yesterday and jalal seems to careless about that, there's a knock on her bedroom door and afrah sigh before heading to the door.

"Come downstairs my parents are leaving." Jalal say not sparing her a glance and leave.

Afrah sigh and close the door shut, her eyes wander around the bedroom and they land on the wall clock showing 11am making her mouth to drop, she can't believe she's officially a married woman her brother told her the wedding is by 9am so that means jalal is back from the nikah, afrah stare at the rumple nightwear she's wearing and grab the long hijab from her bed and put it on.

Why did she have to look good on her wedding day when even she herself isn't happy about the wedding.

As she walk down the staircase she could see her jalal parents sitting on the two sitter couch, jalal is sitting on the one sitter sofa with his gaze on his phone and lailah is sitting on the carperted floor near jalal mum who's slightly patting her on the head in comforting gestur.

"Good morning." Afrah greet and jalal parent answer in unison with a smile and she sit on the far end of the parlour.

"Afrah how are you?" Jalal dad ask and afrah smile weakly at the old man.

"I'm fine thanks for asking sir." She say and jalal mum clear her throat.

"Well.
My husband and i are going back,
I don't know why my son choose to marry you and why you agreed to this marriage because as much as i don't like lailah i think you are a snitch,
This lady here accommodate you into her house and you end up marrying her husband, aren't you ash.........

" mum please.
I won't tolerate you insulting my wife,
If you are not happy about this you can leave or stay quiet if nothing positive is going to come out of your mouth."jalal say and his mum give him a baffle look.

"Don't you dare speak to me in that tune jalal, i gave birth to you and you will respect me, what you did is unacceptable, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Lailah don't worry everything is going to be fine, God is not sleeping and he will justify this betrayal for you." Jalal mum say as he give her a bored look, his dad clear his throat and give his son a pitiful.

"Jalal, lailah and afrah i know this is a big change especially for you Lailah but i want you to accept qadr, every man has a wife he's destine to be with and unfortunately my son is destined to marry your niece, you should take heart and try to stay in peace and harmony because what you didn't accomplished peacefully you can't accomplish it in violence, jalal you make sure you do justice between them,
two wives isn't a joke, try your possible best to be a good husband to both your wives.
We have to leave our flight is in two hours time." Jalal dad say and stand up.

"The driver will drop you off,
Safe flight." Jalal say he wish he can see his parent off but his mum will just give him migraine with her noise.

Once his parent exit the parlour, Afrah stand up to leave but Jalal call her back and she sit back.

"Well,
Like i said previously,
I didn't marry with the intention to divorce, just like i marry you to be a lifetime partner so do i marry afrah,
I'm not going to plead anyone to be a good wife or force anyone of you to do anything, you all know what marriage is all about so if you choose to be a good wife fine if you choose the other way round fine because no matter how miserable you make your own life I'm not divorcing any one of you,
I love you both and we will live forever." Jalal say and Afrah glance at her aunt who's silently crying.

Afrah don't want to believe that jalal will actually do what he's saying,
She believe soon he will get tired of her and divorce her just like her aunt promised her, with a heavy sigh she stand up to go take her shower maybe it will clear her head.

"Afrah." Jalal call making her to turn.

"Yes." She answer not wanting to meet his gaze.

"Get me a glass of orange juice from the kitchen." Jalal say and afrah look up at him before turning her gaze to her aunt who's staring at her husband in bewilderment.

"Huh." Afrah say confuse making jalal to look up from his phone screen.

"Didn't you hear me?
I say get me a glass of some orange juice from the kitchen." He repeat staring at Afrah who's staring at her aunt.

"Let me go get it for.....lailah say standing up.

" no.
Afrah get me a glass of orange juice."jalal repeat turning his gaze to lailah.

Afrah glance at her aunt and she node at her making her to release a heavy breathe and walk to the kitchen.

"Why are you doing this to me jalal?" Lailah ask and jalal give her a confuse look.

"What do you mean?
Lailah you need to wake up from this slumber you are in,
Afrah is my wife and nothing is going to change that, it's either you accept the harsh reality of this or you leave if you want to." Jalal say with a shrug.

"I.....lailah want to speak and afrah comes in making her to keep quiet and head upstair.

Afrah hand the glass of orange juice and turn to leave but jalal call her again making her to sigh and turn.

" what is it uncle j?
Why are you doing this?
What are you gaining by doing all this?"Afrah whisper yell and jalal chuckle.

"Afrah you need to get this clear.
I'm not divorcing you i don't know what your aunt told you but the sooner you accept the fact that you are my wife the better for you." Jalal say and afrah shake her head.

"You are sick." She say frustratedly and run upstairs making jalal to chuckle.

Drop your comments and votes.