xxii. hurt

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

✯✯✯✯✯

The pain in her head was throbbing. It felt as if someone had hit her in the face with a baseball bat and Genevieve was sure her face was covered in bruises, but when she looked in the puddle of water on the concrete next to her all she saw was her tear streaked face. It was quiet, only the sound of her soft breaths echoing through the room. It had been like that for a while, she hadn't seen a soul since she had entered the building. The vampire had left her there, locked the door behind him. God, she was so stupid.

Genevieve had been so sure of herself when she went to meet him, but now, as she sat in the cold she felt stupid. The pack could have easily taken them out, they'd done it before. The fear of losing any of them had been too strong and that's why she left. They would return to La Push anyways, they really hated wolves.

The girl was moving the tips of her fingers through the puddle beside her, flicking droplets of water away with her hand. There was commotion outside the door and Gen glanced up, smearing the water on her jeans as she stood up, slowly. The brunette grimaced as she swallowed away the saliva that had formed in her mouth. Her back leaned against the metal of the walls as the lock clicked and the door opened.

It was a vampire she hadn't seen before. A woman with reddish hair, bright red eyes and a somewhat alarmed look on her face. Genevieve almost screamed as she suddenly stood right in front of her, grip of steel on her bicep.

"You better keep your mouth shut."

Genevieve nodded absentmindedly, eyes widening slightly as the leech pulled her along pretty roughly and out of the room. The corridor was empty, lights out and she almost tripped over a pair of boxes as she was being pulled into an unknown direction.

"Where are you taking me?"

The leech ignored her, only squeezed her skin harder, causing Gen to cry out silently. Her feet hurt from being pulled along so harshly. They turned and entered another corridor. Genevieve's breath caught in her throat as the vampire that was holding her was pulled from her grasp, skin breaking into tiny pieces. The girl fell backwards, eyes wide.

"Jared?" she breathed.

The brownish wolf stood before her, breathing heavily. Genevieve cried and stumbled up from the ground, throwing her arms around her friend. Jared lowered his head and let her hug him. He growled out softly, warning her and Gen pulled away, frowning. Jared moved his head down the corridor and she nodded.

"I'm so sorry." she breathed as she walked beside him, head down in shame. The wolf glanced at her moved his head down to mimic her. "Is Paul here? Quil? Did you all come? Oh god. I didn't want any of this to happen. I thought that if I went alone you'd all be safe."

Jared let out a whine and shook his head, he couldn't tell her anything in wolf form but he also couldn't shift back into his human form. Genevieve decided to keep her mouth shut from that moment on. At least until they were out of the warehouse and back to safety.

✯✯✯✯✯

Jared got her.

Paul felt a weight lift off his shoulders as his friends thoughts reached him. He and the rest of the pack had killed most of the leeches in the warehouse. It was dark but their wolf eyes were able to pick everything up quite easily. Their senses were heightened.

I can smell more of them.

At least three more.

Sam let out a growl in warning and the shapeshifters came to a halt behind him as Sam listened for the leeches. There was a breeze coming from their left and they navigated their way through the halls. Paul snarled and leaped over Sam and into the night air.

They fled.

I will kill all of them.

Sam ordered him to stay put and it took all of his strength to listen to it. He couldn't defy his alpha's orders how much he wanted to. It was cloudy outside and they slowly crept towards the forest, highly alert. They were close, the smell was strong and repugnant.

From the corner of his eyes, Paul saw a pale body slam into Jacob and then chaos broke out. The leech managed to wrap his arms around Jacob and squeezed, the wolf let out a painful howl. Quil snapped his jaw and tore the leech off, disfiguring it. Jacob fell to the soil limply, whining lowly.

Paul met the eyes of the leech in charge, he had a grin on his face as he sped off into the forest. Paul followed after him without hesitation and sped after him, he could hear Sam behind him as Quil killed the second leech, leaving only this one.

He's mine.

✯✯✯✯✯

Genevieve sat in the car, door opened as Jared stood before her, still in wolf form. He was listening intently to something and there had been a howl about ten minutes prior, she guessed he was listening to his pack members. Genevieve felt even worse than she did before.

The regret was the strongest of them. The fact she wanted to keep everyone safe and now had endangered them instead was bad. She should have known. Genevieve hated herself and would die if someone got hurt because of her.

Jared sat up suddenly and turned back into his human form before her, he looked alarmed. He glanced at her and back towards the left side of the warehouse.

"Jared? What is it?"

"It's Jacob, he's hurt."

The brunette's heart sank inside her chest and she got out of the car, slamming the door shut. Jared let out a breath and she followed his line of sight. Sam and Quil were carrying Jacob, who groaned out in pain, his face contorted in a frown. Paul had a glare on his face as he stalked toward her.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

He was mad and she didn't blame him. It almost looked as if he was going to scoop her up and throw her of a building with the way he looked at her, but instead he slammed his lips down on her own and grabbed onto her cheeks, a bit harder than he used to.

"You're fucking stupid."

"Wait," she breathed, trying to get out of his grip. "wait, what happened to Jacob? Please, is he going to be okay? What happened?"

"M'fine," Jacob sighed. Sam and Quil had sat him down in the backseat of the car. "Just a few broken ribs, it's already healing."

"Oh god," Gen shook her head. "I am so sorry."

"You should be." Paul said.

(I think 2 or 3 more chapters and then I will start the rewrite :)