xiv. damaged goods

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

✯✯✯✯✯

It had been an eventful and chilly evening for everyone. Claire was sent to bed around nine, already up way past her bedtime. The toddler had the time of her life and the pack was now sitting in the Young's backyard around the fire, shielded from sight by the forest.

Genevieve sat on Paul's lap. His arms were wrapped around her tightly to keep her warm. She rested her head in the crook of his neck and watched the flames dance before her.

"That is some bullshit." Jared laughed as Kim pushed at his shoulder.

"I swear!" promised Seth, eyes wide. "I've never heard anything like it before. I am not crazy!"

The pack were sharing scare stories with each other and Seth had just told them about the time he heard a ghost inside his house when he was home alone. None of them were having it and it made him upset.

"I believe you." Gen smiled. Seth smiled brightly whereas Leah shook her head in annoyance. "I'm pretty sure my old home was haunted too."

"Not this again." Quil rolled his eyes.

"I wasn't lying!" she insisted. "You know I'd never lie about that."

"What happened?" Paul questioned, grinning from ear to ear as he tried not to laugh.

"About a year ago something woke me up in the middle of the night. I thought it was my father ... but he was snoring in the other room, so I went downstairs and the tv was turned on. I thought he had forgotten to turn it off, so I did. When I turned to go back upstairs it turned on again. I pulled the plugs out because it must have been broken but the it turned on again. I never ran so fast up the stairs and locked my door. I swear it was a ghost."

"There are no ghosts." Jared snickered. "Who believes in ghosts?"

"Who believes in vampires and werewolves?" she retorted.

"She has a point." Jacob agreed. "I believe it."

"Thank you," she replied smugly.

"That must have been creepy." Paul shuddered. "I can handle a vampire, but all that other stuff is not for me."

"You're scared of ghosts?" Gen smirked.

"No," he brushed her off.

"Liar." she laughed.

"Shut up," he muttered, grin pulling at the corner of his lips.

"Well, who do I watch horror movies with now?"

"I can handle a movie." Paul rolled his eyes and planted a sloppy kiss on her jaw.

It was getting late and most were heading home, the fire was almost out. The two of them said their goodbyes, leaving Quil who was catching a ride with Jacob and Embry, his closest friends.

Paul opened the door of his truck door for her and helped her inside before heading to the driver's side. The shapeshifter rested his hand on her thigh after he started the vehicle and drove towards her house.

"I'm going to Port Angeles with Kim tomorrow." Genevieve said, staring out the window, watching the trees rush past them as he drove. "She and Jared are also staying for dinner, want to eat with us too?"

"Port Angeles?" he questioned, his face turning into a frown. "It's dangerous out there, Gen."

"I can't sit at home waiting for something to happen, Paul." she sighed. "There's always going to be vampires in this world. I just want to live my life without worrying all the time."

"I just want you safe, baby." he squeezed her thigh.

"I will be." she nodded. "I'll text you throughout the day and see you back home?"

"Alright," he smiled. "Just don't hesitate to call me for whatever reason and I'll come pick you both up. Or Jared. Or anyone just give us a call."

Genevieve nodded her head and brought his hand up to her face to kiss his knuckles. The man next to her smiled and focused back onto the dark road ahead of them. Before Gen could bring their hands down towards her lap, the car gave a jerk to the side.

Paul slammed on the breaks and grabbed the steering wheel with both hands tightly. Before he could react, however, the car started to lift, and Gen screamed. He ripped off his seatbelt and threw his body over hers when the truck started to flip onto the side.

The windshield broke from the impact and glass shattered around them, cutting their faces. Paul let out a pained moan, his leg stuck under one of the seats whereas Gen's head had slammed onto the pavement, through the glass. Blood poured from her forehead while Paul was being dragged away from the wreckage. He was in too much pain to shift but he smelled the sickly sweet smell of leeches and he fought away from them.

He managed to throw one of them into a tree before he was being held down once more.

The last thing the shapeshifter heard was his imprints scream before something broke his other leg.

(I wrote this story ages ago (2015). literally. i said i was going to edit and i will but i think i will do that when the story is finished. if anything is cringy, remember that this is old so that's the reason.)