vii. still cold

CHAPTER SEVEN

✯✯✯✯✯

          There was a warm blanket wrapped around Genevieve's shoulders as she sat beside Kim and her brother later that same night. The red flames from the bonfire kept her feet warm as she stretched them closer towards the blazing fire. The elders had long gone back to their homes, it was almost midnight.

Genevieve had missed the La Push bonfires, especially the legends Billy Black often told. He was Jacob's father and he loved to tell the tales of the tribe. Though the cold outside, it almost felt like one of the summer nights since she was here last.

"God, you two make me sick." Embry said, as he rolled his eyes at Jared and Kim who were eating each others faces. "Get a room or something."

Genevieve raised her eyebrows a the boy and shook her head in amusement. There was a glint in her eyes as she looked up at Embry with a smirk. "Wait til you get a girlfriend. You wouldn't be able to keep your hands to yourself, would you, Call?"

"Very funny," he mocked.

"Oh, I know I am." she mused, brushing some hair from her face.

Embry rolled his eyes with a chuckle and turned to Jacob. Genevieve yawned and rubbed at her eyes. Quil leaned towards her and nudged her shoulder softly, gaining her attention.

"Tired?" he questioned. Gen responded with a single nod. "Want me to take you home?"

"Yeah," Genevieve sat up a bit straigther, ready to stand up. "Can't keep my eyes open. That's been happening a lot lately. I'm always tired."

"I'll take her." Paul said. He had been following their conversation closely and wanted a chance to get to know his imprint better. Quil let out a scoff but nodded his head nonetheless, he knew Paul wouldn't hurt a single hair on her head. "I was heading home anyways."

"Is that okay with you?" Quil asked his sister.

"Sure," she nodded. "I don't mind."

Genevieve said her goodbyes to her friends before she gave Paul a gentle and tired smile. Paul led her through the small parking lot towards his truck. His arm brushed against her own as they walked and heat rushed to her cheeks.

"Thank you," she spoke up. "For taking me home."

"No problem at all." he grinned.

Gen leaned a bit towards him but she didn't know she did. It felt natural. A smile grazed her tired features. Paul glanced down at her frame and shook his head slightly, smiling also. He opened the door of his truck for her and made sure she was seated and strapped in before he shut the door and went to the drivers seat.

The truck was freezing and Genevieve started to shiver, blowing hot air into her hands. Paul silently cussed out his old car and made sure they were close, hoping to warm her up.

"D - do you have a blanket in the back or something?" she questioned shyly. "It is really cold in here."

"Shit, no." Paul cussed. "I am so sorry. You can have my shirt? I don't want you to get cold."

"You'll freeze to death." Gen raised an eyebrow. "I don't even understand how you're not cold right now. I am wearing multiple layers and you are in shorts and a shirt."

"We don't get cold easily." he shrugged with a smirk. "I thought you'd know that by now."

"I do," she nodded. "I just can't believe it."

"Come here," Paul reached out and laid his arm across her lap as he started the truck. "This will keep you warm."

Genevieve blushed slightly and rested her palms on his arm, heat rushing through her veins straight away. Paul pulled out the parking lot and drove off towards her house.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

His question caught her off guard and she furrowed her eyebrows slightly before shaking her head negatively.

"I was wondering if maybe you wanted to hang out with me?" he almost seemed shy as he asked her that questioned. "I mean, you don't have to if you don't want too."

"Sure," she nodded. "I'd like that."

"Really?" Paul was surprised but he quickly covered it with a grin. "Great! I'll pick you up at around four? Does that sound good?"

"Yeah," she smiled. "That's great."

There was a comfortable silence in the air as they drove and Gen's eyes were already drooping slightly as she leaned back in the leather seat. The girl was well aware of his gaze on her throughout the drive as he checked on her.

She couldn't get the smile off her face and the bubbling feeling of excitement in her stomach was only growing. But she was tired and she knew she was going to fall asleep before they would reach her house.

The sound of his soft but heavy breathing was lulling her to sleep and before she knew it the truck had stopped in front of her house and Paul at her door. He took her sleeping body in his arms and carried her towards the house.

He was just about to knock when Joy opened the door carefully, trying not to make any noise. "I saw you park up front. Come in."

Paul entered the house with Genevieve sleeping peacefully in his tight embrace. Joy was mumbling silently as she led him through the house towards her bedroom.

"Careful," she mumbled as she pulled away the covers so that Paul could lie her down on her bed. He didn't want to let her go but he also knew he couldn't keep holding her when she didn't know and with her mother right next to him. "I'll take it from here."

Paul nodded at Joy slightly with a defeated look on his face. He wiped a few strands of hair from her cheeks and sighed before standing up straight. He gave Joy a smile and began to walk away from his imprints room, trying to hold himself together from the scent of her.

"Paul," Joy stopped him. He turned around and glanced at the older women carefully. "You're a good guy. I'm glad she has you."

"Thank you," he nodded gratefully before walking down the stairs and back towards his truck. He gave the house one more glance before he drove off towards his own.

He could still feel her body against his and a bright smile gazed his features. Oh yeah, he was whipped.