iv. odd meeting

CHAPTER FOUR

✯✯✯✯✯

          His eyes were so intense, Genevieve had to hold her breath for a moment. It was as if time had stopped and the people around them had disappeared and it was just the two of them. Just Genevieve and Paul. The girls mouth opened as if she wanted to say something, but nothing came out. The cherry muffin she held between her fingers fell onto the kitchen table and bounced off and onto the wooden floor.

Paul seemed to snap out of his daze and let out a growl, literally. Genevieve furrowed her eyebrows when his shoulders tensed. It had come from deep within his throat. He tore his dark eyes away from her own and stormed out of the house, slamming the door so hard it almost came off its hinges. Gen flinched, and felt as if something in her stomach sunk and she slumped further into her chair, unable to tear her eyes from the spot he had stood.

Quil jumped up, chair shrieking against the floor and he stormed after Paul with a shout about killing him.

"Well," Embry clasped his hands together, trying to hold in a chuckle like the rest of the boys. 

"Did I do something?" muttered Genevieve.

"No," Jacob shook his head, turning towards her. "That's just Paul. You'll get used to it, nothing personal. He's a bit of a hothead."

Sam Uley had gone after the two boys not long after they had disappeared outside. Genevieve sat quietly as Jared and Embry joked around, whispering to each other while glancing out the door every now and then, as if they were betting on something. Jacob tried to hide his amusement but was unsuccessful as he laughed at them. 

"Are they always this weird?" asked Genevieve, reaching down to grab her muffin and putting it on the table before her.

"Define weird." he snorted. "More like a pain in the ass."

Gen chuckled and agreed with him before glancing back at the door. "Where did you think they went? Are they okay?"

"Probably just out back or something," Jacob shrugged, following her line of sight. "or, at the beach, there isn't much else nearby. You know Paul probably left because he noticed Quil. They had a fight at work, but nothing to worry about. They'll get over it. Eventually."

"Alright," she sighed just as Quil came back through the door, still in a bad mood but he gave his sister a small grin as he sat down. "Did you make up?"

"Huh?" he frowned, distracted, before Jacob gave him a pointed look as Quil said, "Yeah, we'll get over it."

Moments after Quil had entered back into the home, Sam came through the door and headed straight for his fiance, planting kisses all over her face. The old floorboards creaked and Gen averted her gaze back towards the entrace. His dark eyes found hers again and he glanced away. Paul sat down, as far away from her as he could with a glare on his face. How welcoming.