vi. steroids

CHAPTER SIX

✯✯✯✯✯

          Genevieve ambled after Quil toward the Uley home. Each held a grocery bag as they made their way inside. Emily had put new flowers up beside the door and Genevieve wondered if they'd survive the cold. Genevieve put the bag on the kitchen table and her brother disappeared into the living room, where she could hear the rest of his friends laughing.

"Thank you," Emily was relieved when she saw the bags. The raven-haired woman embraced Genevieve tightly before explaining, "I didn't have time to get more food with all the baking I have been doing. I hope it wasn't much trouble?"

"Not at all." Genevieve said as she helped Emily unpack. "Glad we could help."

"They're in the living room," began Emily, putting away butter in the fridge. "you don't have to help me. Go hang out with them, i'll be fine."

"I want to help." Genevieve shook her head as she leaned against the kitchen counter.

"That's very sweet of you," Emily nodded. "but I don't need help at the moment. How about I will come get you once I need some help?

"Alright," Gen agreed with a nod of her head before she headed toward the living room. Her boots stood forgotten at the front door and her dark blue rain coat hung on one of the hangers next to her brother's.

"Gennie!" Embry shrieked, causing her to flinch as he pulled her down next to him on the sofa. He had shoved Jared and a few years older than herself to the side to make room for her. Genevieve smiled apologetically at them before shoving Embry onto the floor. "What on earth was that for?"

"Being an ass."

Jared pulled the girl on his left onto his lap and glared towards Embry. "You can't just push people off to make room for someone else."

The girl chuckled and held out her hand with a smile. "I'm Kim, nice to meet you, Genevieve. I've heard a lot about you."

"Nice to meet you, Kim." Genevieve smiled. "All good I hope?"

"The best things. Though, I might have told her about the time you peed your pants when you were five." Embry grinned, pushing himself back onto the sofa and planting a sloppy kiss on her cheek. 

"Ew, get off." Genevieve grabbed his face and pushed it away. "You really are an ass."

"Yeah, Embry." Kim grinned. "you're an ass."

Embry mimicked her and rolled his eyes. Genevieve snorted and shook her head in amusement. Jacob and Seth were playing video games on the tv and the four of them watched to see who would win. Seth was better and Jacob more competitive. It was quite entertaining. 

"You're losing."

Paul came through the screen door that led to the back yard, wearing only a pair of cargo shorts. Jacob glared at his friend and turned back towards the screen, determined look on his face. Paul caught Gen's eyes and he grinned, squeezing himself in-between Jared and Genevieve. It was a very tight fit and now she was squished between him and Embry, arms on her lap and knees touching.

"How's your ass?"

Genevieve's eyes widened before realising what he meant. Jared snorted beside them and shook his head while mumbling under his breath. 'Smooth'. Paul shot him an annoyed glare before glimpsing back at Gen.

"It's fine." she said.

His bare skin was touching her own and she wondered why he didn't wear a shirt. Not that she was complaining, but she simply didn't understood how these boys didn't freeze to death. Genevieve was sure her cheeks were a bright crimson once more but Paul didn't speak on it and she was glad.

"Good," he smiled, eyes roaming her face.

"Gennie," Embry grinned. "Is Paul bothering you? I'll kick his ass."

"Embry!" Paul growled as Gen shook her head in amusement. "I'll kill you if you don't shut up!"

✯✯✯✯✯

Genevieve and Kim were helping Emily set the table since dinner was almost ready. The house smelled amazing, it wafted through each room. The boys were getting rowdy when the scent hit their nostrils, ready to eat their stomachs full from all the patrolling they'd been doing.

"I haven't smelled food this good in a long time." Genevieve admitted. "My mom is a brilliant cook, but this is something else."

"Thank you," Emily blushed as she put a bowl of roasted potatoes onto the table. "I just enjoy cooking, I guess."

"You have to, witht he amount of people you invite over." Gen laughed, running her hands through her dark hair. Her focus was on the many bowls of veggies, meat and potatoes. There were at least four whole breads in the middle when they finished everything. "Are you trying to feed the whole reservation?"

"They eat so much." Kim said in amusement. "You'll get used to it."

"So it's not steroids?" Gen questioned.

There were loud howling laughs coming from the living room and Gen grimaced, knowing they had been able to hear her from around the corner. Emily rolled her eyes with a chuckle before she let them know dinner was ready. They came rushing around the corner, fighting for a seat, knocking each other over in the process.

Gen was already seated next to Kim, Jared claiming the seat on Kim's other side. Quil sat in front of her with a scowl on his face, Jacob and Embry on both his sides and Seth next to Embry with Sam and Emily. Paul had taken the other seat next to her as quickly as he could but she hadn't noticed. Gen was too emerged with the food to notice.

"Could you pass met the potatoes, please?" Gen asked him as everyone started filling their plates.

"'Course," Paul reached over the table and handed her the bowl. "You a fan of those?"

"Can't get enough actually." she exaggerated.

"You can have mine." Paul offered. "I'm not really in the mood for potatoes."

"Are you sure?" Gen asked, brows furrowed. "Last time I saw you eat you almost inhaled them." Paul rolled his eyes and grinned at her before nodding. "Thank you."

He watched her with a smile on his face. The thought of not wanting an imprint circled back in his mind and he averted his gaze, breathing through his nose. He was in conflict with himself and cussed under his breath. His senses were a mess whenever she was around. It was like he couldn't think straight. The smell of oranges and the ocean were the only things in his mind when she was near.

His eyes found hers once more and she smiled brightly. His anger melted away instantly and he grinned back at her.