ii. first beach

CHAPTER TWO

✯✯✯✯✯

          Genevieve was frowning at her brother's bare back. The twenty two year old was filling his plate with waffles and pancakes, pouring syrup on them as if his life depended on it. He took a seat in front of her en began to stuff his face. Quil had left somewhere during the night and came back around four in the morning. The boy had tried to be quiet but tripped over his own two feet as he tried to reach his bedroom. He had dark circles underneath his eyes that probably matched her own.

"Long night?" asked Genevieve, brows raised as she watched Quil.

He peered up from his breakfast and shrugged his shoulders. His thoughts went back to the leech that was very persistent on coming onto their land before saying, "Something like that."

"Some job you have if it requires you to work through the night." Gen muttered, playing with the food on her plate. "Furniture, huh? Never pegged you as a woodworker."

Quil stopped chewing, glancing at her from across the table. He seemed somewhat amused as he put his fork down and rested his head in the palm of his hand. Gen wondered if he had gotten any sleep at all by the way his eyes seemed to droop slowly. 

"It pays well."

"Sure does."

Genevieve dropped the subject and studied him as he began to eat once more. There was no way he'd grown so much. It was impossible. Sure, he could have been working out like he said but Quil had always been a scrawny kid. It was hard to believe he had gotten the build he had now from just working out. 

With a sigh she stood from her seat and emptied her plate in the trash, putting it and her glass in the sink. Joy had already headed to work before they had woken up. There was a note on the fridge that said she'd be home around dinner and that she was making lasagne.

Quil did the same when he had finished eating and turned to his sister. "I'm heading out to meet some friends, you can tag along if you want Jacob will be there. I know you haven't spoken to him in a while."

"Sure," she nodded. "It'll be nice to see some familiar faces."

"Wear something warm," Quil advised. "the beach is cold."

✯✯✯✯✯

Genevieve loved the beach. It was never crowded, no one ever came there besides the people from La Push and the occasional stranger. The wind blew around both their faces as they stepped on the steps that lead down towards the dark sand. The stones were still wet from the rain, and they had to watch where they put their foot down. Though Quil seemed to have much less trouble than she did. Gen closed her eyes and listened to the waves hitting the shore, calming down her nerves.

"Are you coming or are you going to keep sniffing the air?" Quil snorted, raising a brow in her direction as he waited for her from a few feet away.

"Shut up," she uttered, smiling softly.

"You look ridiculous."

"And you don't?" she retorted as she bumped into him as they continued to walk. "You're wearing shorts and it is freezing."

"I run naturally hotter than you." he shrugged, grinning. 

Genevieve gave him an incredulous look before shaking her head in amusement. Quil was happy he got her to smile as they walked down the beach, water reaching the edges of their boots. Gen had to keep up her pace if she wanted to keep up with him, his long legs having the advantage. Her eyes wandered around the scenery until she spotted a group of boys in the distance, kicking about a soccer ball.

"Don't tell me that is Jacob?"

"Alright, I won't tell you."

"Is he on steroids too?"

"We're not on steroids, Gen." Quil rolled his eyes. "We just filled out after school, we had more time to ride bikes and work."

The ball came rolling into their direction and Quil leaped forward to kick it back to his friends. Jacob patted Quil on the back and whispered something in his ear. Quil pulled a face and pushed him off. They looked the same, wearing only a pair of shorts and a thin shirt. The same tribal tattoo was inked onto their biceps.

"Genie!"

Jacob Black had spotted the girl and pulled her into a warm embrace. Genevieve had always been close to Jake and Embry Call. They practically lived at her house before she left to live with her father. He had cut off his long locks, like her brother, and had grown taller too, taller than Quil.

"Jake," she smiled, squeezing him tightly before taking a step back. Jake still held onto her. "You've changed. You look good."

"Thanks," he grinned as he comically flexed his bicep. "So do you, but you haven't grown an inch since I saw you last."

"And you have almost grown a foot." Genevieve noted, craning her neck to look up at him. "What is up with that?"

"For me to know, and for you to figure out." Jacob said mischievously and send her a wink. Physically he changed but mentally he was still himself and Gen felt as if she'd never left.

"Trust me, I will."

"I don't doubt it." he smiled before leaning down slightly. "How're you holding up?"

"I'm okay." she nodded. "I promise."

"Don't hide your feelings, Viv." he said. "I know how good you are at hiding."

"I'll try." she confessed, sighing softly. 

Jacob frowned before giving her a small nod and placing his lips on top of her head, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. The rest were still kicking the ball around, looking competitive. Quil kicked the ball towards one of his friends and pulled his sister towards him.

"This is Gen, my little sister." He messed her hair up and she glared at him. "Lovely, isn't she?"

"Now, Quil." Jared Cameron laughed. "Don't be such a tease."

Genevieve chuckled and he send a wink her way. Jared was twenty-three, four years older than she was and one year older than her brother. Sam Uley was twenty-seven, his face looked stern but she got nothing but kindness from him as he introduced himself. Gen hadn't expected it, Quil had made him out to be some sort of monster when they spoke on the phone a few months ago. Guess he was wrong. Seth Clearwater was her age, just a tad bit younger but he too, seemed to be much older than he actually was. 

"Can you play?" Seth asked, bright smile on his face.

"Decently enough," she nodded as he kicked the ball her way.