viii. rumours

CHAPTER EIGHT

✯✯✯✯✯

     It smelled like cinnamon and fresh pine cones when Genevieve came downstairs after a long and hot shower. The orange shampoo she used, left wafts of scent behind her as she walked down the steps. It was Thursday and Joy sat on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate as she read the paper. It was her day off and she usually spend it inside or with one of her friends.

"Morning, mom." Gen yawned as she poured herself a cup as well before letting herself slide down onto the comfortable but worn couch. Rain hit the glass outside and she shivered slightly when thunder rumbled in the dark grey sky.

"Morning, sweetheart." her mother smiled as she put the paper down onto the coffee table, which Gen was resting her feet on. "How did you sleep? I heard you mumbling last night."

"Not too good." she shrugged with another yawn. "I've been having these terrible nightmares and I don't know what to do about them. I woke up around four and haven't slept since."

"What are they about?" Joy asked with a frown on her face.

"Dad." Gen whispered. "They're scary. Nothing is wrong with him, though. It is as if he was being haunted by some man in the forest. I can hear him calling for help before the man turns to me, trying to kill me."

Joy was silent for a moment. "That does sound terrifying."

Genevieve nodded and fiddled with her fingers, putting her cup down. It had been almost two months since her father had passed away but her dreams seemed to get worse and worse.

"Maybe it is your way of coping with his death?" Joy muttered. "Quil goes on runs to clear his mind, maybe you should join him one of these days. Might do you some good."

"Maybe," she nodded. "Anyway, I was wondering if I could go job hunting today? I know you said I couldn't but I can't be cooped up in this house forever and frankly I get bored."

"Alright," Joy smiled, silently agreeing with her daughter. "I heard the bookstore was hiring."

"Really?" Gen questioned. "John's place?"

"Yup," her mother grinned.

"I always went there as a child." Genevieve smiled, excited to see how much had changed.

"You can borrow my car. Be careful, the weather is horrible today." Joy said.

"Thanks, mom." the girl kissed her cheek." I'll be back around three, Paul is taking me out somewhere after that, if that's okay with you?"

"Of course it is." Joy smiled. "Just be careful out. Paul is a nice kid, i've known him for a few years now. He used to have a bad temper but he seems to have straightened out."

"I'm always careful." Gen rolled her eyes. "He is nice."

Genevieve said goodbye to her mother and pulled on her coat before making a dash towards the car. The girl cussed loudly as she shut the door when she got inside of the vehicle. Water dripped down her face as she started the engine, backing out of the driveway.