v. cold nights

CHAPTER FIVE

✯✯✯✯✯

          Swirls of wind crept inside the agape window of Genevieve's bedroom. The brunette always slept with her window open to let in the fresh forest air. This was how she slept best, she'd always felt stuffed and locked in otherwise. Genevieve had forgotten how much she missed the fresh air, not having much of it where she lived in San Fransisco. It was never cold, she had plenty of blankets to keep her warm at night. Her open window made her room smell of pine and trees and rain, something that had always calmed her down.

Gen's soft breaths echoed through her bedroom. She tossed and turned in her sleep as those haunting dreams overtook her minds once again.

Genevieve ran as hard as her legs could take her, away from the man that was chasing after her. The skin of her bare feet was cut open from the sparp twigs and rocks that she had stepped on. The only thing she could hear was her own breath that came out in ragged gasps, until a hollow laugh came from behind her. Goosebumps appeared on her skin and she cried out softly.

"Dad!" she managed to get out as she searched the forest around her. "Where are you?"

"You better be quick, dear."

Gen heard a bloodcurdling scream, and she hadn't noticed it came from her own mouth as she was thrown against the tree on her right, arm snapping at the impact. Whimpers escaped from her as she held onto her arm in agony. For a second, she couldn't figure out where she was from the fall and her eyes rolled to the back of her head from the pain.

"Gen," her father's voice was far away. "Genevieve, help me."

The dark haired girl tried to swallow the pain as she looked at her surroundings. Her heart was pounding deep within her chest and her eyes were wide with fear. She was going insane.

"You won't make it in time."

"Please, don't hurt him." Gen cried. "Please, I can't lose him."

The man appeared before her, crouching down and grinning. His face was sickly pale, his eyes bloodshot red. He was so frightening that she was sure she would never get his face out of her mind if she was going to survive this. He reached out and twirled a strand of hair around his pale fingers.

"He can't be saved." His smile was taunting, making the girl swallow. He took a hold of her arm and twisted it, breaking the bone further. Gen screeched as loud as she could and begged for him to stop. Her mother' and brothers name left her lips in a soft plea. "You're al alone, darling. Your precious mommy or brother can't save you."

There was a growl coming from her right and they both turned. It was a large grey wolf, probably about the hight of a grown horse. It looked malicious. Gen opened her mouth slightly, a gasp escaping from between her lips. It was furious as it focused on the man before her.