ix. hanging with the trees

CHAPTER NINE

✯✯✯✯✯

     The brunette opened the door with a smile on her face. The ice cold wind swirled inside and she looked up to see Paul hovering in the doorway. Genevieve shivered and pulled her coat around herself a bit tighter. He gave her a toothy grin when he caught her eyes.

"Hey," he said, smiling. He was wearing long jeans this time and a dark grey shirt with a thin black jacket covering his upper body. Genevieve was glad it had stopped raining. "You ready?"

"Yes," she nodded, pulling the door closed behind her as she waved to her mother and Quil. He lead her to his truck, resting his hand on the small of her back. "Where are we going?"

"I haven't really thought that through yet." he frowned, as he opened the door of his truck for her and helped her inside. He send her a lazy smile. "I just wanted to spent some time with you and get to know you better."

"Thanks," she smiled as he took his own seat. "We could go for a walk? The rain has stopped pouring and I quite like the outdoors."

"You sure?" he questioned, glancing towards the woods. "You might get sick."

"I'll be fine." Gen laughed with a slight roll of her eyes. "I don't get sick easily."

"Good," he smiled. "I know a place you might like."

Paul turned on the radio as they took off towards the road. He made Gen laugh as he talked and joked around. He was amusing. Paul managed to grin with pride each time he got a laugh out of her.

Once they got to their destination he opened the door for her again and helped her down out of the truck. He made sure she got out safely before he led her through the woods, bumping arms against each other as they walked.

How Paul wasn't cold was a mystery to her once more. Gen took quicker steps since his legs were much longer than her own. He glanced at her, brows pulled together and cussed himself for taking her to the coast in this weather. "Do you want to go back?"

"No," she raised a brow. "I am not made of sugar, Paul. I can handle the cold."

"I don't want you to freeze to death." he stated with worry.

"And how you still aren't is beyond me."

"You'll get used to it." he grinned, sending a wink to her.

Soon, they weren't able to see the road anymore and they were deep into the forest. The moss felt soft underneath her boots and she loved the feeling. It was beautiful and the air smelled clean, something she had definitely missed.

"It smells nice." Gen stated. "Do you come outside much?"

"You have no idea." he chuckled. "I'm sure Quil has told you we work at Sam's shop. We mostly work outside, unless it rains."