iii. chocolate eyes

CHAPTER THREE

✯✯✯✯✯

         Genevieve wanted to help. The girl noticed how her mother struggled with supporting both her children, losing her ex-husband and working a full time job. Gen thought the least she could do was find herself a job somewhere to help pay the bills. Now that she wasn't going to college, she had to make herself useful. It wasn't that she'd never go to college, she was just going to take a gap year to get her life back on the rails. Quil was paying his own bills and often helped his mother, but the world is expensive and even with his salary they couldn't always buy the things the wanted and needed.

Joy had forbidden Genevieve to find herself a job, at least for the upcoming months. Gen understood why, though. Joy knew her daughter better than anyone and knew that she'd throw herself into work without grieving first. There were other ways to keep yourself busy, is what she had said. 

The brunette had a job back in San Francisco. Nothing fancy, but it got her some cash. Gen worked at the gas station behind the counter and dealt with more annoying than pleasant customers. No, she didn't want to work behind a counter again anytime soon. The girl kept her word and promised to take things slow, but if the opportunity came, she'd got for it. Joy could live with that.

It was around noon and Genevieve was sitting on the couch, legs up on the table and remote in her hand, flipping through channels lazily. She was getting restless, she had noticed it the more she was alone. Gen didn't like being alone with her thoughts and she bounced her leg up and down to get rid of the sinking feeling in her stomach. 

Genevieve had contemplated texting Jacob or Embry, but she hadn't even seen the latter yet since she'd been back so she decided against it. The weather was horrible, it was raining so hard it was difficult to see anything when she looked out the window. Normally she'd love it, but it made her restlessness even worse. 

Moments had passed and she still hadn't found something to watch on tv when she felt her phone vibrate against her thigh. Gen glanced at her screen seeing that she had gotten a text from her brother.

'I'm done with work. Heading to meet some friends, want to come?'

'Sure, I'll be ready in five.'

The brunette switched the tv off and thew the remote onto the couch with little care. Her rain boots stood beside the front door and she slipped her feet inside, weaving her arms through her thick coat and pulling her hair into a loose ponytail. Strands of hair fell out of it immediately when she pulled her hood up. There was a honk and Gen stepped outside, locking the door behind her.

She squinted her eyes as she shielded her face from the cold water. The brunette let out a squeal as she made a run for it, yanking the door open and rushing inside, water dripping onto the old leather seats of the truck.