i. death of a father

✯✯✯✯✯        

✯✯✯✯✯

          Genevieve stood waiting for her luggage in Seattle Airport. Headphones were placed around her ears as she tried to merge with the wall behind her. Crowds weren't really her thing, she doubted they were anyone's thing after the events of last month. The feeling of getting lost in a sea of bodies was tapping the back of her mind like an annoying child whining for their mother. The suitcases had began arriving on the conveyor belt but she hadn't spotted her own yet.

People came and go and soon it was only her and an elderly couple. The girl pushed off the wall when she saw her sticker covered suitcase and she strolled toward it. Once she had a firm grip on the metal handle, she yanked it off the conveyor belt and it fell beside her feet. Genevieve began to make her way through the airport and toward the exit as quickly as she could without bumping into anyone.

Her boot covered feet stalked across the parking lot the moment she excited the building in search of her mother. Joy had been in San Francisco with her for the funeral, but wasn't able to stay for more than a week or she would have lost her job. Genevieve understood and reassured her mother that it was no problem, no matter how many times Joy cried and apologized. In order to keep their small two story house in La Push, she had to keep her job.

Her brother Quil hadn't been at the funeral. Their father and him were never close, but he grieved in his own way, according to Joy. Money wasn't something they had a lot of in the Ateara family. It had always been like that, so she didn't blame her brother for not being able to travel to San Francisco, she understood.

It was cold outside and Genevieve welcomed the chill air with open arms. Cold and Wet, just how she liked it. The clouds were dark, rain pelted against her skin.

"Genevieve!"

The brunette was pulled into a warm and tight embrace and she let out a sigh, smile on her face. Her mother was very affectionate and she had missed this. Genevieve buried her nose into her mothers neck and sniffed, holding on tighter.

"Honey," Joy whispered, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "I'm so glad you're here. I should have been on this flight with you, and I am so sorry that I couldn't."

"I know, mom." Genevieve wiped away her mother's tears with the sleeve of her jacket. "It's okay. I just really want to go home."

"Of course," she nodded, helping her daughter with her luggage as they reached her old blue truck. Gen traced her fingers over the car and grinned, seeing the dent Quil made when he boasted about getting his licence, which he hadn't.

"How is Quil?" Gen asked, taking a seat and fastening her seatbelt. Her mother revved the rusty engine to life. "Haven't spoken to him in a bit."

"He's alright," her mother drove away from the parking lot and towards the highway, leading them out of Seattle. "Hasn't been home much the last few months, he got a job with Sam Uley. Something about fixing up old furniture and re-selling it with his friends. Works odd hours but seems to enjoy himself. His friends are really great."

Genevieve nodded as she glanced out the window.

It didn't take long for them to be emerged into a sea of green forest and Gen got lost in her thoughts. Working to fix furniture, my ass. She rolled her eyes. Quil hated anything that had to do with working with his hands, so there was no way he was working on chairs and such. But it was none of her business, so she kept her mouth shut.

✯✯✯✯✯

Genevieve was relieved when they passed the familiar sign of the Quileute tribe, which meant they were close to the reservation. They had passed Forks so it would only take another fifteen minutes for them to arrive home. Gen longed to see the familiar dirt roads, small homes and the sea. The eighteen year old had really missed this place more than she thought she did. It had been a rough two years since she was here last, and she tried to take in as much scenery as she could.

The thing she looked most forward to was the bonfires, the barbeques and Jacob's place and cliff diving in the summer. Sadness wafted over her, and she scolded herself. Her father just passed away, why was she thinking about bonfires and barbeques? It wasn't something she could help. The human brain works in funny ways, and she guessed it was a way of processing things. Gen shook the feeling off and focused back on the road. 

"Your room is just how you left it." Joy said, glancing at her daughter. "I changed your bedding and some minor things before you came to make you feel more at home. We can order take out for the night if you want, I don't feel like cooking."

"That's fine," Gen nodded. "Thank you."

Her dark eyes lit up when their home came into view in the distance. The white paint had started to come loose from the wooden boards, flowers were planted freshly alongside the garage and her brother's old car was parked before it. It wasn't much, but it was home and none of them would change it for the world.

Genevieve sat frozen in her seat when there was a crash from inside the house and Joy cussed under her breath. The door flew open, almost coming off its hinges and a dark figure came from the house, stomping towards the car. The passenger's door opened, and Gen was pulled from her seat, in a warm and tight embrace.

"Quil?" she wheezed.

"Gen, shut up." he muttered. "Let me hold you for a second."

Genevieve wrapped her arms around her brother, frowning at his frame. He had grown, which she thought wasn't possible anymore before she left. He now stood at a solid 6'2, almost a foot taller than herself. He wasn't her scrawny older brother anymore, he was muscled, tall and seemed to have a fever.

"Are you okay?" she whispered. "You feel warm."

Quil held her at arm's length and laughed. "I'm perfectly fine, are you?"

"I am." she nodded, but he could see the pain behind her eyes and pulled her towards him again. "I just missed you a lot."

"I missed you, too." Quil rubbed her head. "But you look terrible."

Genevieve let out a snort and rolled her eyes as she pushed at his chest, but he wouldn't budge. The girl observed him and narrowed her eyes, Quil gave her a cheesy grin.

"Did you take steroids or something?" she questioned.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." he grinned. "Besides, it is none of your business."

"Don't think I won't find out your secrets." she smiled.

Quil pushed at her shoulder playfully as they walked inside, Joy was already there. It smelled like the sea and Lavender inside and Gen breathed it in as much as she could. It were the flowers around the house and the sea, which was right behind their home, a few minutes' walk away. Genevieve let out a scream as Quil scooped her up in his arms and swung her over his back. The brunette banged on his shoulders, but he was having none of it and laughed loudly.

"Let me go!" she demanded.

"Hell, no!"