xv. musings

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

✯✯✯✯✯

Genevieve was awake, yet she couldn't move a muscle. Everything was aching and she wanted to let out a scream, but nothing came out. There was pressure on her upper thighs, and she wanted it off, it made her legs feel numb.

It was silent except for the beeping right next to her. It gave her a headache. Gen had an idea where she was, but the girl didn't know how long she'd been there nor could she remember what had happened.

Soft snores reached her ears and she tried to move her fingers. Her thumb brushed something soft and she took a hold of the fabric of her sheets. Slowly she could feel movement in all her limbs, and she opened her eyes carefully, squinting against the light.

With a soft hiss she moved her head to look around the hospital room, seeing she was hooked on multiple monitors. Her left arm was in a cast, laying over her stomach and she had a bandage covering her forehead but other than that she couldn't see or feel other injuries.

Paul was sprawled over her lap, face snuggled on her leg, as he snored. He sat awkwardly in the plastic chair next to her bed. The shapeshifter had dark circles under his eyes, skin looking less healthy and he was drooling on her sheets.

Gen smiled softly and ran her fingers through his hair, that was sticking in different directions.

"You're up,"

Gen glanced to the other side of the room, not having seen her brother in the other chair. Quil looked almost the same as Paul did, dark circles and sick. He scooted closer to her and took her fingers in his, trying not to move her broken arm.

"Gen," he whispered. "we were so worried about you. You hit your head so hard on the pavement, Paul thought you had broken your skull."

"What happened?" she rasped, frowning at him.

"You were both attacked by two vampires." Quil said, furrowing his brows. "They got Paul pretty good, but he's healed now, he'll be fine. But you, we didn't think you were going to make it. You've been out for eight days, Gen. Doctor Cullen thought you were going into a coma if you didn't wake up soon."

"Eight days?" she muttered, tears streaming down her face. "Where are they now?"

"We don't know." Quil admitted. "We got there just in time or Paul would be dead. They ran off and we took the two of you to the hospital straight away. We haven't smelt or heard from them since. They might just have passed through and smelt the wolf on Paul."

"What happened to him?" she whispered.

"They broke his legs," Quil started. "so that he wouldn't be able to shift to get to you. They left him like that before they pulled you from the truck and Paul says he doesn't remember anything after that."

Genevieve swallowed and rested her head against her pillow with her eyes shut tightly. Her brother kissed the top of her head when he noticed Paul shifting his position and told her he would be right back.

"Gen?" Paul rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"Hey," she muttered.

Paul, who seemed to register that his imprint was awake sat up quickly and leaned towards her with a worried expression. The shapeshifter ran his eyes over all the skin he could see to see if she was alright.

"Are you in pain? How are you feeling? You must be in so much pain. Fuck, I'm so sorry, Gen. I couldn't keep you safe like I promised. I could fucking -" he rambled.

"Paul," she shook her head. "I'm not in any pain besides the headache I have. I'm okay, I promise. It is not your fault, please don't do that to yourself."

"Baby," Paul almost whimpered as he rested his head on her shoulder. "I should have protected you. You could have died, Gen."

"I'm not dead, Paul." she run her fingers through his hair. "Can you tell me what happened?"

Paul lifted his head and brushed his nose against hers. "You sure?" after her nod Paul let out a sigh. "I don't know where they came from. I didn't smell them, and I should have. They pushed the truck from the road and pulled me out after we crashed. They broke my legs so I couldn't get to you. Gen, they pulled you from the wreck and twisted your arm and I couldn't even get to you. One of them was about to bite you when the pack showed up and they were gone within a second."

The shapeshifter had sat back and was shaking from anger. Genevieve reached out to him and took a hold of his hand, Paul visibly got calmer and let out a frustrated sigh.

"They're gone now." she murmured softly. "They can't get to me."

"We'll be patrolling the woods extra carefully just to make sure they won't come back." Paul rested his hand against her cheek, the girl closing her eyes and bringing her own hand over his with a tiny smile on her face.

"Do you need anything?" he asked.

"I -" she furrowed her brows. "I'm quite hungry."

"I'll get you something." Paul kissed the top of her head. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

Gen nodded her head and watched him slip out the door. The girl closed her eyes, being tired despite not being awake for eight full days. Gen didn't remember anything apart from Paul shielding her body with his own.

She wondered if these vampires looked as scary as the one, she saw in the wood's months before. Gen could still feel the coldness of his skin, see his blood red eyes whenever she closed her eyes.

The door closed and the brunette sat up a bit straighter before opening her eyes. The teen froze, eyes widening and heart rate picking up immensely. It only took him a gush of wind to reach her side and before the brunette could scream, he took a hold of her throat.

"My singer,"

(honestly, i have no idea where i am going to go with this. i promise i'll finish this fic for you guys but i feel like it's just really bad. again, i wrote this ages and ages ago but i do want to finish it. i have another paul fic called meliorism on my account (hopefully it will be better than this one) no mean comments please xx) ps. i am cringing at myself so you don;t have to do it)