xii. imprints

CHAPTER TWELVE

✯✯✯✯✯

His heart seemed to drop down to his stomach. His brows furrowed as he searched her face for emotion, but it was as if it had all drained away from her. There was only uncertainty in her voice as she said those words to him. Paul swallowed, feeling his skin getting paler. He held her cheeks in his hands, squeezing them softly and trying to hold her gaze.

"No," Paul shook his head firmly. "no, that's not it."

"Are you sure?" Gen muttered; a bit panicked. "I mean, you didn't get a say in this. It just happened, right? You never asked for this, so it must be fake. You probably wouldn't have looked at me twice if it weren't for the imprint."

"Don't say that." Paul said, brows furrowed. "The imprint might have steered me into your direction but that's it. It's not fake. What I feel for you is real. I wouldn't want to change this for the world. I understand, though. I understand why you feel this way, but please believe me when I tell you that this is real, all of it."

"This is a lot to take in." she breathed, rubbing her arms as she glanced around the beach. Gen believed every word of what he just said, and her doubts faded away quickly. Paul was waiting patiently for her to say more, for her to look at him. Of course, this was a lot to take in, he understood. "I don't really know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything." he shook his head, trying to reassure her.

"I never thought the legends were true." she started as she began to ramble, eyes meeting Paul's. "Didn't even cross my mind once. Though, I had always hoped. I always fantasized about the wolves. About them protection our tribe from evil. It made me feel safe when I was younger. But the thought of humans turning into wolves was just impossible."

Genevieve seemed a bit more relaxed than moments ago. The colour had returned to her face and her breathing was no longer quick and shallow. His eyes were darkened as he looked down at her. Those eyes, she couldn't get them out of her mind ever since she looked into them all those weeks ago.

"I don't even care that I've known you for a little over three months." she muttered. "I mean, I'm glad I know now. But this, me and you, it feels safe. I haven't felt like this in a while. I don't want it to change."

Paul perked up at his, smiling brightly down at her. Gen truly felt safe with him. He could hear the sound of her heartbeat, it was going fast, thundering against her ribcage.

"You have no idea how happy that makes me, hearing you say that."

Genevieve laid her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around his frame. The warmth of his body was comforting to her. Paul had one hand wrapped in her hair, the other around the small of her back. His chin rested on top of her head.

"You're shivering." Paul breathed, feeling her shudder despite his warmth.

Gen shrugged her shoulders, not bothered. All she wanted was to stay like this and forget about the vampire from earlier. He was still haunting her mind and Paul's embrace seemed to make it better.

"Let's get you back inside?"

"Okay," she nodded.

✯✯✯✯✯

The pack was rowdy when they entered the house. Gen hadn't let go of Paul's hand since they left the beach and he planted a kiss on top of her head when they reached the kitchen.

Paul was quickly pulled away from her side by his friends and they had disappeared back outside, despite his protests. Genevieve watched them, confused as Emily laid a hand on her shoulder.

"They're pestering him." she chuckled. "I guess it went well then?"

Genevieve sat down at the kitchen table next to Kim who looked at her expectantly. As is she was expecting her to spill everything they talked about.

"Hm," she nodded. "he told me everything."

"Well?"

"It's a lot to take in, you know." Genevieve shrugged. "I mean werewolves and vampires? It's not something you can wrap your mind around quickly. I'm glad I know now, I'm no longer an outsider." she laughed softly. "And I couldn't imagine my life without Paul anymore, so I'm okay."

"Trust me, I didn't talk to Sam for weeks after I found out." Emily said, taking a seat opposite of her. "I know how you feel, you seem to take it better than me, though."

"I freaked out, too." Kim nodded. "Especially when Jared showed me his wolf form. They're huge! Probably the hight of a horse."

"Huge?" Jared came in. "You wound me. I haven't even eaten that many pies."

Kim rolled her eyes as Jared scooped her up, causing her to shriek. The rest of the pack re-entered the house excitedly as they welcomed Gen to the 'pack' family officially. The younger Ateara laughed and shook her head in amusement. Paul pulled her onto his lap and smooched her cheek. Her eyes met her brother's and her laughter died down.

Quil looked conflicted. Genevieve smiled at him before nodding, letting him that it was alright and Quil seemed to calm down. He never wanted her to think of him as a monster, but he knew deep down that she wasn't like that and he was glad.

"I love you, big brother." she mouthed.

"Love you too,"