xvii. comforting

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

✯✯✯✯✯

Paul had returned two hours later, coming to a halt in the door opening, seeing Gen was asleep. Her face wasn't as peaceful as it was this morning, there was a frown on her features and Paul swallowed, pained. He felt her emotions, they were strong.

"Paul," Emily rested a hand on his shoulder.

"We couldn't find him." Paul managed to bring out.

"We will." she reassured him, squeezing his arm. "There is something I need to tell you ..."

"What is it?" he turned towards her, worried.

"Gen said he called her his singer." she frowned.

Paul felt as if the ground beneath him sunk. He held onto the door for support as he closed his eyes, trying to control his anger. This was horrible. It meant that he would never stop trying to get at her, not until he was dead.

"We'll catch him." Sam said from behind his fiancé.

"She wants to go home." Emily added. "We could take her in. The pack is always with us anyways, she'd be safe there."

"If she's staying with you then so am I." Paul stated.

"That's fine." Sam nodded. "I'll talk to the doctor."

Paul sat down next to Gen, taking in her appearance. Her face had paled, eyes sunken, lips dry. She was in pain and he couldn't do anything about it. Her eyes fluttered open and met his, she smiled slightly.

"Hey," he held her hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. "We're going home soon."

"Did you get him?"

"No," he smiled sadly. "not yet."

Genevieve was silent for a moment before nodding. She pulled on his hand to get him closer and he carefully laid beside her in the hospital bed, holding her to his chest.

"We're going to stay with Sam and Emily for a while." he said, brushing her hair from her face. "It's the safest place for you to be at the moment."

"What about my mom?" she wondered, looking up at him.

"We'll have extra patrols around your house, she's going to be fine." Paul reassured her, planting a kiss on her forehead.

✯✯✯✯✯

The doctor had cleared her, as long as she would come back the moment, she wasn't feeling good. Beside her broken arms and gash on her forehead, there were no serious injuries. Genevieve was given pain killers for her headache and vitamins since she hadn't eaten properly for days.

Paul led her inside the house, helping her onto the couch.

"I'm okay, Paul." she said, chuckling softly.

"I know," he nodded. "Do you want anything?"

"Something to drink." she admitted.

Paul nodded and disappeared into the kitchen. They were alone in the house. Emily went to get extra groceries with Seth and Leah for the extra mouths to feed and the rest of the pack was on patrol, looking for a sign of the leech.

He came back with a glass of lemonade and Gen downed it quickly, hating the feeling of how dry her mouth was. Paul frowned. "You'll get a stomach-ache if you do that."

Gen shrugged slightly, putting the glass on the table before her. She ran a hand through her hair and cringed. It was greasy, she probably looked horrendous.

"Could you help me upstairs?" she turned to Paul. "I really need a shower."

"Are you sure you're up for that?" he asked. "You've been in bed for a long time and nearly collapsed walking into the house."

"Please," she said. "I feel gross."

Paul nodded his head reluctantly and helped her stand. Her legs were fine, but her muscles ached from the crash and it was difficult to stand for a long period of time.

Genevieve insisted on walking up the stairs much to Paul's dismay, but he let her. He held his hands on her hips to guide her as he walked up the stairs behind her.

He ran her a bath instead since it would be easier for her and grabbed some of her comfortable clothes that were already brought there and towels. Steam filled the small bathroom. Her cast wasn't allowed to get wet, so she'd have to keep it out of the water.

"Thank you," she smiled.

"Will you be alright?" he asked, frowning.

"Yes," she nodded. "I'll call you if I need help."

Paul nodded and closed the door softly. He stayed in the bedroom in case she needed help. Gen looked in the mirror and frowned. She really did look horrible. The girl kicked off her slippers and got a chill from the cold tiles against her bare feet.

She pulled on her shirt with her right hand and got it over her head, throwing it in the corner of the room. She reached behind her to unclasp her bra but to no avail. She heaved a sigh and hesitated. Her cheeks turned crimson at the thought of Paul helping her.

"You alright?" she heard Paul ask through the door.

"Yeah," she replied. "C – could you help me?"

The door opened slowly, and he peeked his head inside. He hesitated slightly, not wanting to make her uncomfortable, but she nodded at him through the mirror.

"I can't take it off." she blushed.

Paul closed the door behind him and stood behind her, looking at her through the mirror. She swallowed as he reached towards her bra to unclasp it. It sprung loose. He leaned down and kissed her shoulder softly. Gen closed her eyes and leaned back against his chest.

"Stay?" she muttered.

"Gen," he nuzzled his nose against her cheek. "You're still injured."

"No," she shook her head, blushing deeply. "I didn't mean it like that. Can you just stay? I'm just so tired and I want you here. Take a bath with me?"

Paul planted another kiss on her shoulder and nodded his head. He removed the straps of her bra from her shoulders and it fell to the floor. He smiled at her and crouched down to undo her pants, sliding them down her legs. He glanced up to ask for permission and Gen nodded as he slid off her underwear as well.

Genevieve's heart was hammering in her chest, but she felt comfortable with him and all insecurities left her when he stood up and kissed her forehead.

He undressed and Gen tried not to look, biting her lip. He was beautiful, but she already knew that. He helped her in the steaming water and helped her down.

The water felt amazing against her skin. Paul slid in behind her and pulled her towards him. Her back rested against his chest and his arms wrapped themselves around her bare waist.

"How's that?" he asked, kissing the back of her ear.

"Amazing," she breathed, letting her head fall against his shoulder. She was tired and closed her eyes. She could feel Paul starting to wash her hair, massaging her scalp and she felt at ease.