xiii. not reality

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

✯✯✯✯✯

     Genevieve sat on her bed, pen sticking from between her teeth and a notebook in her hands. The brunette was keeping track of her expenses and how much she had earned from working at the bookstore, even if had only been a few weeks, it was so she could see how much she needed to save up to get her own car and how long it would take her.

She had already gotten her lessons and license for her eighteenth birthday from her parents, and she yearned for her own truck so that the girl didn't have to rely on others all the time.

The bookshop didn't make her that much money, but she was okay with it, she wanted a second-hand car anyways, not really bothered to spend much money on it.

Gen sniffed her nose, having catched a cold, which was odd for her. She blamed it on the weather. It was much colder here than in San Fran and since it was now December, the cold was unavoidable.

There was a whistle coming from outside and Gen perked up, putting her notebook away and walking up to her window. A smile graced her features as she saw Paul stand below her window.

"Back up," he said, and she did.

With a graceful swing and jump, he stood before her, his body sliding through the window. He wore dark green cut offs, his skin as russet as hers. He took a long stride and wrapped her in his arms, a sigh heaving his lips.

"Hey," she smiled.

"Hey," he grinned.

Paul reached down and planted his lips on hers. His were warm and felt nice against her own. Genevieve couldn't get enough of his kisses. Ever since that day at the beach it seemed as if their lips were always locked.

"How was patrol?" she asked, pulling on his hand as she sat crossed legged on her bed, he followed her actions and leaned against het headboard. "I heard you guys howl."

"There was a leech, but we took care of her." he grumbled. "She got Jared, though. He's fine now. Nothing to worry about."

"It is kind of difficult not to worry about you guys." she muttered, lacing her fingers with his. "All I can think about it one of them hurting you. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I can't lose someone else."

"Hey, look at me." Paul took her chin in his hand and made her look up at him. "I am not going anywhere. You won't lose me or anyone else anytime soon, alright? Besides, leeches don't stand a chance against us, we're much stronger than they are. I don't want to worry you, but I can't lie. There have been an awful lot of them around our borders for weeks now, we don't know what they want, but we took care of them and we will of any other that tries to cross."

"I trust you." Gen nodded. "I know you can handle yourselves, it's just ... I don't know Paul; I have a bad feeling."

"Nothing is going to happen, I promise." Paul pressed his lips against her forehead. "As long as we're here you're all safe."