x. clear as day

CHAPTER TEN

✯✯✯✯✯

Paul was patrolling the reservation with Jared and Sam close to the treaty line when he heard soft cries coming from his imprints room. His ears perked up at the sound and he stopped running, coming to a sudden halt. The sound of it made him worry, sadness filling his senses as he thought about her in pain.

He was a few miles away from her house, but he could still hear her, clear as if she was right beside him. The only thing on his mind was her from the moment he had looked into those chocolate brown eyes of hers. His grey silver fur moved as swirls of the wind past him and his head raised into the direction of her home. His heart ached and he turned to Sam with a small whimper.

'You need to finish your patrol first.' Sam ordered as he stared down at Paul with a stern look on his wolf face. 'Quil is at home so nothing will happen.'

'What if it was Emily crying at night?' Paul knew he had him there. 'I need to know what's wrong.' he whined and cocked his head downwards. 'Please, Sam. I need to see her. I can't focus on anything else.'

'Go,' he nodded his large head. 'We'll finish up here. Don't think I will let this happen again.'

Paul turned around swiftly and started taking off towards Genevieve's house as fast as he could. His paws hit the dirt with thumps. There was nothing that could distract him anymore as her face kept flashing through his mind. Gen whimpered again and he stopped beneath her window.

Is she hurt? What if a leech got to her? He didn't smell one.

He phased back and untied the shorts from his ankle before pulling them up. He listened closely to make sure she wasn't awake before he'd scare her to death by appearing in her bedroom without warning. When he heard the steady beat of her heart, he hauled himself onto a nearby tree and jumped onto her dark oak floor, frowning when he saw her trashing underneath her covers.

There were soft whimpers coming from between her lips and he frowned. Paul took a few long strides until he was right next to her. He leaned down and watched her expression twist into fear as he brushed strands of hair from her face.

Carefully he let his body slide onto the bed next to her; almost falling off since he was too large to fit in next to her. He leaned on his elbow and ran his fingers over hers softly, knowing he shouldn't, but he wanted her to calm down.

Within seconds her whining and thrashing had stopped, her breathing going back to normal as she slept peacefully. A content sigh escaping her lips as she scooted closer to his warm body.

Her small hands wrapped themselves around his waist and her head was leaning towards the crook of his neck.

He wrapped his own arms around her fragile body and kissed the top of her head as she slept.