xxiii. aftermath

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

✯✯✯✯✯

     It was quiet the whole ride back to La Push. Paul was driving and Genevieve sat in the passenger's seat. Jacob sat behind her and Quil on his other side. It was an awkward silence and Genevieve wished she could disappear. 

After a screaming match between Paul, Quil and Genevieve, Sam had separated the three of them and he and Jared decided to run home in their wolf forms while they'd take the car. Jacob had healed, they healed quickly but he was too weak to shift into his wolf form.

They had just passed Forks and not one of them had spoken. Genevieve didn't even know what had happened inside the warehouse or if all the leeches had been killed but she didn't dare ask, afraid something would set someone off and another fight would break out. Quil hadn't even looked at her after, having called her a stupid idiot for endangering herself like that.

The brunette didn't blame their anger, it was justified, she just wished they didn't hate her as much.

Paul was gripping the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles were white and his jaw was clenched. God, he was so angry. He wasn't even angry at her, he was angry about the fact she could have died. He could have lost her and he didn't know what he would do if they got there too late and she was no longer alive. He wanted to shift and run home instead, but he wasn't letting her out of his sight anytime soon. And to be fair, yeah, he was a bit pissed at her that she lied and didn't feel like she could trust them enough to confide in him.

He felt her glances every now and then but he couldn't look at her.

They soon reached Jacob's home and the boy got out of the car, sending Gen a reassuring smile. Quil got up too, helping him toward the house. He was more angry at her than at the situation so blatantly ignored her.

"Quil, wait."

Her brother didn't wait and they disappeared into Jacob's home. Genevieve frowned and crossed her arms over her chest, not knowing how to fix this.

Paul heaved a sigh and they drove off. Genevieve glanced outside, watching the trees like she always did. It was dark and the trees were just a blur this time, no moonlight to illuminate them. It looked ominous, though no danger lurked in these woods.

"Are you going to keep ignoring me?" she asked, turning her head to look at him.

The man sighed again, shaking his head slightly but he didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry." she said, tiredly. "That's literally all I can say, alright? It was stupid, dumb. I got you in danger. Jacob got hurt because of me. I know, okay? And I have to live with that. Just please, talk to me."

Paul pulled up to his house and she was slightly surprised he didn't drop her off at her own home. He shut the engine off and took the key from the ignition before moving his head and looking at her. He was tired. He rubbed a hand over his face.

"I'm not mad at you." he said, shaking his head softly. "It's just ... You don't understand how worried I was. How worried we all where when I found out you lied and disappeared on us. Do you have any idea what would happen if you died? It would kill me, literally."

Genevieve blinked the tears from her eyes, wiping at them with her sleeves. 

"C'mere." 

Paul pushed his chair backwards so she could crawl onto his lap. Genevieve didn't hesitate and unbuckled herself before moving toward him, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him tightly, sniffing. He brushed a hand through her hair and planted a long kiss on her forehead.

"Don't ever do that again, okay?" he said. 

"I promise." she nodded before hesitantly asking. "Are they gone?"

Paul leaned back to look at her, wiping a tear from her cheek and nodded. "They're not going to bother us anymore, they're all gone. He's dead."

Genevieve let out a relieved sigh and laughed softly. The fact she no longer had to worry about vampires transfixed on her was one of the best feelings in the world. It was over. She rested her head on his shoulder as he rubbed circles on her back.

"Thank you."

Paul gave her a soft smile and brought his lips down onto her own, leaving his lips on hers for a bit longer before pulling back. He helped her out of the car and they entered his house. It was almost morning, though still dark outside.

Neither bothered with anything else as they fell onto his bed, knocked out from the events and fast asleep within moments.