Chapter 3 | Glimpse

The sun was hidden behind the clouds. And it almost felt like it would rain anytime.

I am standing in our front garden, wearing gardening gloves. I just embedded apple seeds into the mud that mom gave me. Our fridge never ran out of apples, my mom never let it be like that. And whenever she used to eat them, she handed me all the seeds she separated and asked me to help her plant them. I always did, and they even bloomed.

I decided not to water the sand, as it would rain anytime now. With the falling droplets, I smelt the aroma of bungeoppang.

"Hana, come! The bungeoppang are ready!" screamed mom.

I rushed inside the house and went to the serving table. Fresh bungeoppang waited sitting on the table. My mom always made them when it was raining; a sweet tradition she attached to this occasion. Dad came too, turning the television off.

And we laughed and ate until the rain stopped and mom and dad's worries faded for some time.

I am standing under the tree's shade now. It has grown so much. There's not a single visit where I haven't come back home. The house is not our property now, but these apples will always be mine. Every apple that grows will be a reminiscence for me, and even though the gardener is not here; her creation will always be a reward.

A fruitful memory. Literally.

I saw the time on my wristwatch; it is 8:30 am; I should head for La Belle now. After walking for ten minutes straight, I reached and went to the counter. A young man instructed me to go to Miss Ombre's office, which was on the 9th floor.

Again.

I passed the same place where I clashed with that man. I didn't have any time to think about it again. I hope he wasn't late for anywhere, the way I was. But, should I wish well for him? That's the question.

I reached the 9th floor and saw the same receptionist I saw yesterday. She was on the verge of kicking me out yesterday, I hope she doesn't get the wrong idea of seeing me again.

She saw me coming and smiled in advance. I don't trust that anyways.

Before I could say anything, she started speaking.

"Good Morning, Miss Hana. Good to see you back here."

Good? Are you sure?

"Uh, thank you so much. I have an appointment..."

"Yes, Miss Hana. Miss Ombre told me about that," she says, cutting me off. "Please follow me."

She slid from behind the counter and started walking towards the hallway. I followed her behind.

"My apologies if you felt bad yesterday. I was just too occupied with work, and I thought I may have treated you rudely," she said without turning back.

"Oh, I can understand. Please don't apologize," I replied.

What's with her?

We kept walking in the hallway. Probably, a dozen of doors have passed and the hallway doesn't seem to end anywhere.

"You are very lucky, though," the lady exclaimed, turning back half of her face with a smile.

"Ah no, I can argue with you on that," I chuckled. But that wasn't funny. The lady said nothing.

"What do you mean, by the way?" I asked.

"Miss Ombre is not just a director of La Belle, but she has multiple tasks in this agency. She is so occupied with work, that she rarely has time to see anyone.."

She slows her pace to walk side by side with me now.

"You were just another name in the list of the interviewees. And many others like you were rejected yesterday. But Miss Ombre is meeting you today, giving up her precious minutes to you. What's luck then?"

I am listening and wondering at the same time.

"Why is it so?" I asked.

She stopped in front of the door, finally. Her face is still brightened by a smile. She gave a light knock and opened the door.

"You should find it yourself," she whispered, pointing her hand in the room's direction.

I took a long breath and went inside.

It was quite a spacious room, with modern wooden furniture all over. There was enough sitting space, with a huge window on the sidewall that showed the outside's divine view. Miss Ombre sat on her chair, and her eyes were on her laptop screen. She looked up and stood, instantly.

"Oh hi, Hana," she said, extending her hand for a handshake.

Does she know my name? HOW?

I extended my hand as well, and my skin brushed her warm hands. She offered to let me sit.

"I was looking at your portfolio, just now. The only thing I want to say is that I am impressed," she declared, smiling.

"That means a lot coming from you, Maam."

"Well, I am not at all hesitant to hire you in our team for the training. Are you ready for it?"

I am listening to her, but I don't know how to react. Has God really pitied me that much? Yesterday, I was an ordinary girl struggling to get this job. And today, I am sitting in the director's office who is directly asking me to join the team?

That lady's words: "What's luck then?"

Sure. I get it now.

"I am all ready to learn a lot from you, Maam," I said smiling.

"Great, then. Your training starts now. I'll ask your trainer to guide you."

She picked up her telephone receiver and dialed a number.

The door knocked again and a new face peeked through the door,

"Ma'am, you have a guest."

I instantly got up and asked to leave. Miss Ombre instructed me to go back to the reception where I will meet my trainer. I greeted her one last time and opened the door to exit.

Outside, two men stood side by side, waiting for me to leave. One was dressed in a uniform, apparently a worker here. I couldn't see the other one, because he rushed in too quickly.

I just heard him saying 'Thank you' to the worker.

Wait. That voice.

I know this.

Is it

Him?