Chapter 79 | Acceptance

Jungkook's POV

"Come, come." I step inside the apartment as he stands sideways for me to enter. I stand and wait for him to lead me to the lounge area, despite knowing the way myself.

I walk behind him and we finally enter the open lounge. The lounge was way cleaner and cozy from the last time I visited here. The lights were dim, along with the aroma of strong coffee in the air. I inhale deeply and let the scent bless my lungs.

"Have a seat, son." I freeze right when he says that. Son? It has been a while since someone said that to me.

"Sure, thank you, sir." I walk to the couch.

"Sir?" He pronounces, fixing his eyeglasses.

"Umm," I look at him in confusion, while my butt can't decide to sit, stand or stay still in the bent position.

"What did you call me when you were young?"

"Ahhh.." I stand straight now and give it a thought. "Uncle Joon!"

"Right, call me that." He turns his back and walks to the kitchen counter, while a playful smile escapes my lips. He doesn't even realize how badly I wanted to call him that. I sit down and look around the lounge when something catches my attention on the huge bookshelf. I look towards the kitchen; he is quite busy with something. So, I stand up and walk to the cupboard. There are dozens of books, but none caught my attention except the tiny frame lying alongside a small succulent. I pick it up, and move my hand along the glass, securing the picture behind it.

A family picture at the sea.

Hana's parents are laughing; meanwhile, Hana's little figure stands with her lips rolled up, hands shielding her chest. She is upset. I grin at it; she looks cute whenever she is angry. I love it.

"You know why she is sad?" Uncle's voice breaks the silence, as he is walking toward the table holding a tray in his hands. I place the frame back and run towards him to take the tray.

"I told her that we are going to eat the fishes we caught earlier." He lets out a giggle, as I place the tray holding two cups of coffee, on the table. I straighten up and pass a smile. I can expect her to get mad at that, her heart still could never take it.

We both sit down now, our eyes fixed on the steamy fog oozing out from the cup.

"It smells good," I stated.

"I made it after so long. Hana has stopped drinking it, she even barely eats and I miss cooking for her."

"Is she....doing alright?" I fix my posture and lean a bit forward.

"I won't lie to you, Jungkook." He picks up his cup. "Worse."

"What? I heard her talking yesterday, she was alright."

"She was better yesterday, than today. But she ain't all good."

"What about her mental health? I guess she is doing pretty good-"

"She fools all of us." He sips from the cup, making me remember my coffee too.

"I remember when we shifted to America; she seemed like a dead soul roaming in the house. She didn't talk, didn't eat much, and didn't study either; but her grades? Outstanding."

I let out a tiny smile. She is exceptional.

"I have lived 22 years with her, and I know she can hide her pain like a pro."

"That I caused her..."

There was a long silence, and we didn't speak for a long time.

"Son," he motions and places his cup on the table. "You are not at fault."