Chapter Thirty- Two

I awoke to find three new dresses resting beside me, on the bed's open space.

I was confused about the appearance, considering that I had many dresses in the wardrobe already.

Why did there need to be three more?

They were different from the others.

These were more casual and far from fancy.

I suppose they would be more comfortable as well.

I slowly sat up, feeling my back ache as I did.

Shaking off the feeling, I stood and walked towards the window, soaking in as much sun as I could.

I needed to feel the warmth against my skin, before letting the coldness of the house take over.

I leaned my head back and softly smiled, happy to have this feeling.

In a house like this, I needed to consume as much warmth as I could, before it gets taken from me as the day progresses.

"Cordelia?" I heard Archibald ask.

I turned around and saw him standing at the doorway, looking concerned.

"Yes?" I asked.

He took a few steps forward "May we discuss something?"

I nodded and turned back to face the warmth.

I could feel his presence behind me, as a shadow was cast over the curtains.

"There has been a new development" he said.

Refusing to face him, I kept my focus ahead "What development is that?"

"I am now hearing an unknown voice" he said, speaking cautiously.

"Unknown voice?" I asked, unsure of what it meant.

He leaned against the wall, as though he were hiding from the sunlight. "Yes, it is not a voice that is in this household and I am very concerned"

"Why are you concerned?" I asked, worrying that I was somehow involved.

"Well, this voice, it keeps involving thoughts of causing you harm. I am worried about your safety" he said, speaking to me, carefully, as though he were speaking to a child.

I sighed "I thought we already discussed that my death was bound to happen. What is the point of having concern, when you all know what is to happen of me"

He appeared surprised by my response "Why must you look at this so negatively?"

"Because you and Samuel have both confirmed that my death is happening soon and have only encouraged me to run far away, which we both know I cannot" I said, facing him.

He looked down.

"Am I supposed to be shocked that someone is considering harming me? These past few weeks have all been about my impending death, nothing else. Why must we all walk around the subject as careful as possible and then act surprised when I do not wish to act on passionate emotions, like Florence?" I asked.

"Your attitude does not please me and I wish you would fight this destination" he said, looking down at me.

I shook my head and looked back outside, getting as far out as I could outside, without Killian's lock on me taking over. "Perhaps my life is supposed to begin once I die" I looked down at the balcony railing. "If I were to throw myself out of this window, how long do you think it would take for me to die?"